Commercial Remodel in Adobe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just joined this forum yesterday...it looks like a great resource! I look forward to your input.
Here in the Southwest we have a lot of adobe construction: thick (18" to 24") walls made of a mixture of mud and straw, usually covered with a wire mesh (chicken wire) and then plastered. I am working on a proposal to remodel this 20 year old building to commercial standards.
My question pertains to the type of piping I will need to use in these walls, in order to meet the NEC commercial requirements. The new system will be layed into channels cut into the adobe walls, then covered with a metal lath and replastered.
Thanks, in advance, for any help you can offer...Gene

russ

Re: Commercial Remodel in Adobe

I have no knowledge of adobe construction, but I imagine you should be able to use EMT conduit 4 inch square boxes and plaster rings. You may have to use compression connectors and couplings, unless you get set screw that are concrete tight.
Hope if no one hear can help, maybe a local A.H.J. can.

Thanks Russ, I appreciate your reply. Yeah, I am going to contact the AHJ tommorrow.
The twist on adobe is that it can be considered "dirt", so direct bury criteria may come into play. That's why it's such a weird environment: has to have the protection of a metal conduit, but considered direct bury. I am just hoping there is something other than RGS that will fit the bill.
Thanks again....GJ

tonyi

Unless there's some other factors involved, PVC conduit could work. Its cheap and goes in easy.

I have no idea what the heat transfer characteristics of adobe are though. If the wall interior is fairly temp stable, you might be able to avoid expansion couplings.

hillbilly

How about liquidtight flexible non-metallic conduit rated for direct burial?
steve

Status
Not open for further replies.