Code Requirements and Local Inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.

reco

NEC Table 300.5 - Non metalic race ways under a building, we didn't get local inspection. We have compaction tests, we have pictures, and we have engineer field reports before the slab was poured. The local inspector wanted to see the pipes before we back filled we didn't call. We poured the slab so any help short of digging up the slab would be appreciated. We know that we made a mistake but at this point we just need any suggestions.
Thank You!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Code Requirements and Local Inspections

This is a bad situation and the inspector would be within his rights to reject this as you have already admitted.

If you have a good history with the inspector he should work with you.

I think you should show the conduit routes and ask the inspector if he would consider picking a few locations at his discretion for you to excavate.

Hopefully there may be an acceptable solution with out this, but I would be prepared for some grief.

Roger

pierre

How about sending a drag through the conduits and letting him witness it. If you have all of the items you mention, and he does not accept them - you must have pissed him off. Try to make ammends or you are going to chop and dig :eek:

Pierre

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Or go overhead !!!! :roll:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Allen, for sake of conversation, if they had $10,000 invested in the underslab work, wouldn't it be worth trying to save it verse conceding and going overhead? :roll: If it's more than a house it can be a sizable part of the installation and could possibly be "make or break" for the job.

Roger

[ March 05, 2004, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

bennie

Esteemed Member

What could the inspector find wrong? If you can pull wire with no problem I would rule the raceway is good.

I would get legal advice, before I ruined a slab.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Bennie, unfortunately he might find duct tape holding conduit together, or even Jimmy Hoffa as back fill. Whether either of these conditions would create a problem is not the issue, it's the agreement the licensed contractor has with the AHJ, the licensing agency, and his vow to abide by their rules.

Roger

ryan_618

I like to see underground installations. I also don't like people to go over my head. But, with that said, I think you shouyld try to make ammends with your inspector, and if that doesn't work, go in to his/her boss, apologize, and see if you can get them to buy it.

Edit: You might also point out that there are no burial depth requirements to conductors under the building.

[ March 05, 2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

russ

I see this as two problems.
No.1 is the safety issue. With an underground the basic one I figure is grounding. Installing the proper EGC would take care of that.

No.2 Is the quality of the installation. If there is something done wrong, and the underground feed fails or destroys its self two years from now. The contractor is long gone and the customer is stuck with the repair blaming the inspector, for not inspecting the underground.

If the picture clearly show the installation before the pour you might get a break from most inspectors.

To tell you the truth. If you knew the inspector had requested you call him, to inspect the underground before covering it, you would be digging it up if it was me.

[ March 05, 2004, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: russ ]

bennie

Esteemed Member

In this area we have a Builders Commission to deal with this type of situation.

This group was created due to loose cannon demands by inspectors. The commission is approved by the State Legislature, and can override and discharge any inspector by committee action.

Since the commission became active, inspections have become more professional.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Russ,
To tell you the truth. If you knew the inspector had requested you call him, to inspect the underground before covering it, you would be digging it up if it was me.
this is the point of this thread and I don't think an inspector would be wrong in tagging it.

Does the magnitude of a mistake qualify it for special permission?

Roger

russ

It's a lot easier to say you would do one thing or the other when you really don't have to make the decision in real life.
When your the guy making the real world decision it not always easy.

I said that to say this. Right now I have a parking lot with buried conduits and concrete piers poured for lights, with no inspections.
I have no idea what's underground. It all has to be dug up. It's asphalt not concrete, but it's coming up just the same

bennie

Esteemed Member

This kind of action is what makes some jurisdictions stop the inspection program.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Bennie,
This kind of action is what makes some jurisdictions stop the inspection program.
why? Is it because the mistake is larger than a missed strap?

Roger

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Luke the weather is fine 82 yesterday that`s why I`m here and not up north anymore.Back to the issue,If you knew that an undergound inspection was required then why wasn`t it called ???I don`t know any inspector that would sign this one off.Unless you have a really good rapore with yours,you`re in for a problem.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I would suggest getting the engineer who did the field report to step into the discussions. Frequently, when an Inspector is not satisfied with the information presented by a contractor, a signed and sealed statement from a licensed PE can provide the additional assurance that the Inspector needs. It can also provide a fall-back position for the owner, since the Engineer?s license will be on the line. What you would need to do is talk with the Inspector, find out what specific concerns need to be addressed (for example, the use of duct tape, as mentioned earlier). Then you talk with the engineer. See if the engineer can state in writing, that in his or her professional opinion, and in view of the Inspector?s specific concerns, the installation was satisfactory.

kurrent

We had a situation like this where the original contractor went out of business and did not get finals on a few small sites that had underground installations. We came in for the owner and called the AHJ. We hired a locating company to measure the depth and mark the route and certify it. That was enough to satisfy them. I also appologised a lot and was on site to answer questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.