code or not to code

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLES

a customer has a temporary running from a H frame on the ground. its in conduit and supported but laying on the grass and about 20'
over to a T building. can that be to code? ts a temporary for t building. it was not subjected to physical damage. if not then where in the code can i find.?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Looks like the best you can get there is protection from damage. I have seen se cable and nm cable run on the ground like that with no protection. I guess it depends on the area whether they want to call it. On new homes around here we see uf or even nm run from the temp. pole on the ground to the structure with a few outlets at the end of the cable.

MBLES

Looks like the best you can get there is protection from damage. I have seen se cable and nm cable run on the ground like that with no protection. I guess it depends on the area whether they want to call it. On new homes around here we see uf or even nm run from the temp. pole on the ground to the structure with a few outlets at the end of the cable.

its a H Frame feeding set of T building wile regular building under construction. the conduit was laying on ground about 20' in conduit and on sleepers. a construcution company who decided to build a side walk a head of schedule just layed there slab right on top of the conduit. they claim no
liability becuase conduit isnt to code.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
its a H Frame feeding set of T building wile regular building under construction. the conduit was laying on ground about 20' in conduit and on sleepers. a construcution company who decided to build a side walk a head of schedule just layed there slab right on top of the conduit. they claim no

We are not lawyers so I can't help there

MBLES

We are not lawyers so I can't help there[/QUOT

i cant see where in the code its not allowed. your right i see it all the time also. i dont see where its not permitted. if i can find
where its NEC then we may able to bid repair. im not worried about legal stuff just tring to get work. : - )

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What do you think they are liable for?

What kind of conduit? Typically PVC (most use Sch 40, but under Code should be Sch 80 being subject to physical damage).

PVC conduit is only required to be secured within 3' of termination. For support, it could actually lay on the ground without sleepers. The only time you run into a code violation is when slightly burying it.

Anyway, especially with PVC, at job end, just pull out wire and cut it off.

MBLES

What do you think they are liable for?

What kind of conduit? Typically PVC (most use Sch 40, but under Code should be Sch 80 being subject to physical damage).

PVC conduit is only required to be secured within 3' of termination. For support, it could actually lay on the ground without sleepers. The only time you run into a code violation is when slightly burying it.

Anyway, especially with PVC, at job end, just pull out wire and cut it off.

customer wants if to be repaired. in order to repair correctly we have to dig and bury. it goes under walk way NOW! lol. before it ran on grass.

MBLES

I am not following why it needs to be repaired. Did the construction guys damage the conduit?

yes! the conduit was on the ground they removed sleepers, then dug around 6'' pushed conduit in the ground and poured slab right over it. now
conduit sits right over conduit.

MBLES

So what is the issue with the concrete over the conduit? It is temporary and it offers more protection.

i agree,. customer not happy they just slabbed over conduit. i was looking for code reference in regards to conduit laying on the ground and some ammunition to give the customer.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
i agree,. customer not happy they just slabbed over conduit. i was looking for code reference in regards to conduit laying on the ground and some ammunition to give the customer.
Well if they slabbed under conduit, you'd then have a tripping hazard on the sidewalk.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
no sir. they ran slab directly on conduit.
I got that the first time around. What I'm saying is the only other option they had was to have the conduit on top the slab, which would make the conduit a tripping hazard.

Of course if they're totally unprofessional, perhaps they considered running conduit through slab as an option. :huh:

electricalist

I got that the first time around. What I'm saying is the only other option they had was to have the conduit on top the slab, which would make the conduit a tripping hazard.

Of course if they're totally unprofessional, perhaps they considered running conduit through slab as an option. :huh:
I agree if that temp gets put on top of a sidewalk whatever they think they are mad about will be nothing compared to what will happen when an inspector or city worker see s a temp wire obstructing a sidewalk
Id personally thank them and ask if i should leave the conduit when i dusconnect so his sidewalk doesnt fall or break.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I agree if that temp gets put on top of a sidewalk whatever they think they are mad about will be nothing compared to what will happen when an inspector or city worker see s a temp wire obstructing a sidewalk
Id personally thank them and ask if i should leave the conduit when i dusconnect so his sidewalk doesnt fall or break.
I wouldn't ask... sidewalk won't fall in or break because conduit is left in place. I'd just pull wires and cut off conduit at/near sidewalk edges and throw dirt back in the hole. At best, I'd push in some dirt or sand to fill the conduit, if I was feeling like being all proper and such. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.