Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: coax cable

It can be run any way you want :cool:

I suppose I should add that if it's in a plenum or environmental air space the cable must be plenum rated if it isn't then, yes, it would have to be run in conduit.

[ December 22, 2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

delkis

I Would like to know where in the code? i Look under 725 and 800 of NEC-but i having problem finding it

hbiss

Occupation
EC

All listed coax uses the same designations as any other type of low voltage cable and any of the low voltage Articles (725-830) will have similar information. Don't know why you can't find it. Start at 800.48 for instance.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Coax is covered in Article 820 of the NEC. Here is the scope:
820.1 Scope.
This article covers coaxial cable distribution of radio frequency signals typically employed in community antenna television (CATV) systems.

hbiss

Occupation
EC

Tom, coax is used for a great many things. Delkis is asking about coax used in computer networks (RG/58 thinet). 820 wouldn't be applicable there but that really doesn't matter. My point above is that all LV cables share the same system to determine uses. Once you know how that works you will be able to determine what cable, be it coax, twisted pair CAT5e or 18/2 thermostat, needs to be used for a particular application. For instance, if you are running a cable thorough a plenum or environmental air handling space you will know that whatever cable you use will have to have a "P" (for plenum) as the last letter in the cable type. (CATVP, CMP, CL2P, CL3P, FPLP, MPP, etc.)

If for some reason you don't have a plenum listed cable you can use a "lesser rated" one such as "R" (riser) or one with no designation if it's run in raceway or conduit.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

HB: right, if its a computer network it most likely falls under Art 725.
Can the coax be exposed? There is little danger of electocution or fire from shorts and grounds. The biggest danger is from the fire caused by the cable, so the cable has to be appropiate for the location.
Is this an Art 645 computer room?

hbiss

Occupation
EC

...The biggest danger is from the fire caused by the cable

Almost. The biggest danger is from the smoke given off by the cable if there is a fire and it burns.

jrdsg

sorry to join in so late...

the whole plenum-rated wiring requirement is really interesting. plenum wire is fire-retardant, but when it does burn it gives off very toxic compounds. one has to wonder whether this is a good trade-off or not. if i were a fire fighter i might prefer more flammable and less toxic materials go into buildings.

in some local jurisdictions there is no plenum wiring requirement for typical t-bar ceilings, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.