CO detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I'm working on a paper regarding the requirement of CO detectors in MA. This is defintely a draft. Be that as it may, you may nevertheless find it informative albeit incomplete. What I'm really hoping for however is some help with the three questions I list at the bottom of the paper.

Thanks,

Mike

Carbon Monoxide Alarms in Massachusetts:

In 2004, 7 year old Nicole Garofalo of Plymouth, MA died of carbon monoxide poisoning in her home. This was as a result of a snowdrift blocking an exhaust vent from her family's propane fired boiler. A year later in Nov 2005, Mitt Romney signed Nicole?s law into existence. The law essentially required a CO detector in all houses and dwelling units. More specificity for new construction however did not come until March 2006 when the Mass Board of Fire Protection Regulations (527 CMR) issued a bulletin revising 527 CMR 31.00 (Carbon Monoxide Alarms)

Before discussing the requirements of this regulation some definition of terms is in order (these are my abbreviated versions ? see the actual standard for the more tedious albeit more precise version):

Single station carbon monoxide alarm: Includes everything. I.e. includes sensor, control components and alarm notification.

Carbon monoxide alarm: An audible alarm triggered by a carbon monoxide sensor. Realize however that this does not exclude Single Station devices.

The requirements of this CMR are as follows:

Any dwelling unit which contains fossil-fuel burning equipment and/or incorporates enclosed parking within it?s structure must have the following:

1. Each level of the dwelling unit shall have at least one single station carbon monoxide alarm. This includes basements and attics that are habitable (partially or completely finished).

2. Any level with sleeping quarters, must have a carbon monoxide alarm mounted within 10 feet of any bedroom door. And this would typically be a single station carbon monoxide alarm.

31.04 of this regulation does allow an alternative which requires carbon monoxide protection (which is not defined in the document but which I interpret to mean a device that senses CO) at and near the sources of carbon monoxide with a requirement for alarms per 1 and 2 above. For more detailed information the regulation is attached.

The bottom line for us in new construction is that we should provide hard wired approved devices on each level of a dwelling unit. And on floors with bedrooms put the devices within 10 feet of each bedroom door.

What does the Mass building code say on the subject i.e. 720 CMR?

In new construction are the devices required to be hard wired and if so where is this indicated?

Do the devices need to be interconnected such if one device is triggered they all go into alarm?

websparky

Here is one from a city

Here is one from a city

[FONT=&quot]1461.01 CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS REQUIRED.
(a) Effective June 1, 2000, carbon monoxide detectors approved by a recognized testing agency of the State of Ohio or N.F.P.A. shall be installed in the immediate vicinity of the sleeping areas per manufacturer specifications for all new construction of dwellings. The detectors shall be hard-wired and on a circuit without a switch. When a sleeping room is added or created, any habitable area added, or substantial alterations, as determined by the Building Official, occurred in an existing dwelling, a condition of the issuance of a permit shall be that the building be provided with carbon monoxide detectors located and installed as required for new dwellings.

(b) The Building Inspector, Fire Chief or their designees are charged with enforcement of this section.

(c) Whoever violates any provision of this section or fails to comply with any written notice or written order issued hereunder shall be subject to the penalty set forth in Section 1440.99.
(Ord. 74-00. Passed 3-13-00)

[/FONT]

Last edited:

mshields

Thanks

Thanks

You know it's a funny thing. A principal in our company just came over and asked me if I had time to do a residential project in Ohio and I've never done work there in my life. So your info may well be particularly helpful.

thanks again,

Mike

LeslieB

Washington DC

Washington DC

Anyone know if there's a similar requirement for CO detectors in the DC area? I'm just starting on a condo building project in VA.

Status
Not open for further replies.