Class l, Div l, Group B conduit systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running a large amount of conduits thru an area classified as Class l, Div l, group b. Some of these conduits are as as large as 4" and all conduits and fittings must also be PVC coated.
1 - Is there a destinction between a pull box and a Junction box within classifications?
2 - If no splices are to be made does it need to be explosion proof? T-condulet, LB, C condulets as opposed to splice boxes.

thanks

Steve

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Steve,
You have a very expensive project on your hands, the conduit bodies, fittings and eclosures must be approved for the Class I, Division 1 area. This will require conduit bodies with threaded covers and the enclosures must be NEMA 7 or 8.
Don

I guess he's asking if there's a difference in requirements if a box is used as an LB to facilitate pulling the wire as opposed to being used as an actual "junction" box... I don't see a difference except that a junction box muust allow more space for connections.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
In Division 1, splices/terminations are irrelevant with regard to enclosure selection. [501.10(A)(3)] They are relevant to some sealing requirements. [501.15(A)(1)(2)]. In addition to Don?s comment, the enclosures will need to be specifically approved for Group B. [500.8(A)(1) and 500.8(B)(3)] This is actually a fairly tough requirement since Group B enclosure tolerances are even more rigid than those for the more common Groups C&D.

When I see folks painted into a corner like this I often wonder how the electrical area classification was determined n the first place. A large volume Class I, Division 1, Group B location is actually unlikely ? certainly not impossible ? but very unlikely.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Good time to think about "engineering up" in the same essence of lawyering up. 500.4(A) directs to documentation and 500.4(B) with all those fine print notes. Good time to warm up the computer and get those RFI's rolling out in regard to documentation and engineering specks for bulletproof guidelines, Done a lot of C1D1 in oil patch, and it's not cheap...Best talk to your insurance agent in regard to coverage in this arena, a rider at high dollar may be wise in the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.