Class I Div. II Motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a Class I Div. II Groups B&D, can you use a TEFC motor or does it have to be an explosion proof motor? Also, do the fittings being used need to be GUA fittings or can they be standard fittings? One more, do seals need to be installed at motors and instruments?

tony_psuee

Re: Class I Div. II Motors.

Cody,

I think if you read through Chapter 5, Special Occupancies, in the NEC most of your questions will be answered. If after reading it you still have questions, please list the particular code sections you are unclear on.

Tony

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

While digging all the way through Chapter 5 may be a good bit more than necessary, Tony?s general comment is still valid since the questions you asked don?t necessarily have simple ?Yes/No? or ?Do This? answers. This is especially true with the sealing question.

I will try to help you narrow your search a bit though.

I?m citing the 2005 NEC. A firm understanding of Articles 500 (especially sections 500.7 and 500.8) and 501 are essential to proper Class I installations. With regard to motors in Division 2, look at 501.125(B). With regard to general wiring enclosures, look at 501.10(B). And, with regard to seals, look at 501.15.

Several of these Sections are fairly long (especially 501.15) and their applications are fairly complex; hence the validity of Tony?s original comment.

Thanks guys, I did dig through Chapter 5 and I found the answers I needed. I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.