Class 1000 clean room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am bidding a job and designing some changes for a class 10000 clean room. I have no experience in this type of building. Currently they cannot get certification so they are redesigning cleanroom. Now does the lighting have to meet Californias title 24 requirements? Currently Emt is ran throught out the room. What type of material do I need to use if any different from normal. I just need some advice from someone who has experience in this type of work.

Thanks

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do a google search for class 100k or class 5 clean room information, these rooms can be pretty specific in the products and materials that are used within them.

Roger

megloff11x

It's been a while, but I believe it's 1000 particles per cubic something or other. A Class 1000 would make an operating room look as a septic tank.

You will have a LOT of issues.

My advice would be don't bid it if you have never done one because you may find yourself making up the difference if held to it. And it won't be cheap.

We were threatened with $500-$1000 fines per occasion if we took off the gloves or masks or brought in unauthorized stuff. All work performed in a bunny suit. It often took a half hour to get dressed and undressed, each.

I'd pass on this, read up, and maybe bid a less stringent one in the future if you want to pursue these opportunities. Or hire someone who has done them.

Matt

dana1028

I agree with magloff - I managed a Class 10,000 clean room....if you do not have experience in this work you will certainly eat it. All the materials will be specified for you, so that isn't a real big deal....but the 'bunny' suits will kill you. These rooms are ULTRA clean, the process of gowning up (every part of you), the special equipment, cleaning materials, very tight protocals as to what, where, when you can do something inside the clean room drastically reduces productivity....and yes the fines, or downright being thrown off the job for failure to comply is an issue.

sandsnow

Just off the cuff, I would say you have to comply with the Title 24 energy. Have your engineer check the reg's. I am assuming a job this complex has an engineer. It would be a precision task which has a category in watts per square foot.

I inspected a clean room for a large semiconductor manufacturer. There was a clean room within a clean room. Even the inspectors went through the clean room protocol class. Had to "suit up" just like the rest of the guys. I can't remember much now. What's cleaner Class 1 or Class 1000. I do remember the the electricians had to clean EMT like a rifle barrel.

megloff11x

dana1028 said:
I agree with magloff - I managed a Class 10,000 clean room....if you do not have experience in this work you will certainly eat it. All the materials will be specified for you, so that isn't a real big deal....but the 'bunny' suits will kill you. These rooms are ULTRA clean, the process of gowning up (every part of you), the special equipment, cleaning materials, very tight protocals as to what, where, when you can do something inside the clean room drastically reduces productivity....and yes the fines, or downright being thrown off the job for failure to comply is an issue.

I've seen individuals and companies thrown off the site. Once it gets dirty in certain ways, getting it clean again is a nightmare. They will take it out on your wallet. Expect a week long class at some places before they even let you in. Expect sanitizing your gear. Expect a half hour each side to suit up and unsuit. Don't take coffee before going in... It's miserable work. They often light the place up with sodium or other non-UV light, so you can't tell wire colors unless you bring a flashlight.

It's no fun and very unproductive.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.