Clarification on Section 210.52(C)(2)

SGatewood

Occupation
Home Inspector
Howdy! First post and I am a Home Inspector, so take it easy on me!! lol
I'm in Texas, so we are on the 2023 NEC. Now that we are 6 months in to adoption, new construction homes are starting to have the '23 updates, which brings me to my question.

As I interpret the new requirements for Island and Peninsulas, only the receptacles serving countertops are not allowed and what would be considered a wall receptacle 12-16" AFF would still be permitted. Correct or am I wrong?

I was pretty confident in my answer until I spoke with an inspector buddy who is very knowledgeable in electrical and he interprets it as no receptacles are allowed on islands or peninsulas... but to me, that is not the intent of the change and would violate 210.52(A)(1).

So, experts... which one of us is right?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As I interpret the new requirements for Island and Peninsulas, only the receptacles serving countertops are not allowed and what would be considered a wall receptacle 12-16" AFF would still be permitted. Correct or am I wrong?
Would the wall receptacle be serving the countertop? IMO no.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is the section you are quoting

210.52(C)(2) Island and Peninsular Countertops and Work Surfaces.

Receptacle outlets, if installed to serve an island or peninsular countertop or work surface, shall be installed in accordance with 210.52(C)(3). If a receptacle outlet is not provided to serve an island or peninsular countertop or work surface, provisions shall be provided at the island or peninsula for future addition of a receptacle outlet to serve the island or peninsular countertop or work surface.

(3) Receptacle Outlet Location.

Receptacle outlets shall be located in one or more of the following:
  • (1)
    On or above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above, a countertop or work surface
  • (2)
    In a countertop using receptacle outlet assemblies listed for use in countertops
  • (3)
    In a work surface using receptacle outlet assemblies listed for use in work surfaces or listed for use in countertops

Receptacle outlets rendered not readily accessible by appliances fastened in place, appliance garages, sinks, or rangetops as covered in 210.52(C)(1), Exception No. 1, or appliances occupying assigned spaces shall not be considered as these required outlets.

This is the enhanced section below that section which explains it a bit

ENHANCED CONTENT
If a receptacle is installed to serve an island or peninsular countertop, it must be GFCI protected and installed based on Option 1 or Option 2 as depicted in in the exhibit below. Option 1 permits the receptacle to be installed above the countertop within an elevated backsplash space, but not more than 20 inches above the countertop. Option 2 allows the receptacle to be installed within the countertop surface within a listed assembly as specified in 210.52(C)(3)(1) and (2). If Option 1 or Option 2 is not selected at the time of installation, the NEC requires a default to Option 3, which requires a provision to be added at the island so a receptacle could be installed in the future. One means of accomplishing Option 3 could be installing a junction box, with the appropriate NEC-required small-appliance branch circuit, located within the island or peninsular cabinet space.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis where are you getting this ENHANCED CONTENT.

The online version that is associated with NFPA link has the enhanced content at the end of many sections.

For instance, you see this. Obviously it isn't available with the book

(3) Receptacle Outlet Location.

Receptacle outlets shall be located in one or more of the following:
  • (1)
    On or above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above, a countertop or work surface
  • (2)
    In a countertop using receptacle outlet assemblies listed for use in countertops
  • (3)
    In a work surface using receptacle outlet assemblies listed for use in work surfaces or listed for use in countertops

Receptacle outlets rendered not readily accessible by appliances fastened in place, appliance garages, sinks, or rangetops as covered in 210.52(C)(1), Exception No. 1, or appliances occupying assigned spaces shall not be considered as these required outlets.
Informational Note No. 1:
See 406.5(E) for installation of receptacles in countertops and 406.5(F) for installation of receptacles in work surfaces. See 380.10 for installation of multioutlet assemblies.
Informational Note No. 2:
See Informative Annex J and ANSI/ICC A117.1-2009, Standard on Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities, for additional information.
ENHANCED CONTENT
Expand

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes, I have an NFPA Link subscription. Best ?$12? a month I spend.
Just trying to figure out if my interpretation is correct.
I really am having a hard time understanding what you are asking. A receptacle in the island is not required but a wire for future island receptacle must be available for use.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I really am having a hard time understanding what you are asking. A receptacle in the island is not required but a wire for future island receptacle must be available for use.
Seems like islands and particularly peninsulas are sometimes room dividers as well as having countertop surfaces. As a room divider, they may need to have 210.52(A) wall receptacles. The question was whether the new 2023 language in 210.52(C)(2) would preclude the installation of 210.52(A) receptacles in the base cabinets of the island or peninsula.

The answer is no, as 210.52(C)(2) starts off with "Receptacle outlets, if installed to serve an island or peninsular countertop or work surface, . . ." So the limits in 210.52(C)(2) only apply to receptacles installed to comply with 210.52(C), not receptacles installed to comply with 210.52(A).

Cheers, Wayne

SGatewood

Occupation
Home Inspector
I am asking if receptacles that are installed on an island or peninsula that are more than 12" below the countertop... such as a receptacle that is the standard 12-16" AFF still allowed? I attached a photo that was sent to me asking this same question.

I say it is allowed because the code says receptacles "installed to serve an island or peninsular countertop" which would imply only those within 12" of the countertop (based on previous NEC)

Attachments

• 434236111_778066967631658_2975093723919322747_n.jpg
    434236111_778066967631658_2975093723919322747_n.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 11

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I say it is allowed because the code says receptacles "installed to serve an island or peninsular countertop" which would imply only those within 12" of the countertop (based on previous NEC)
It doesn't serve the countertop so it can be there. It some cases it's required where the fixed part is also wall space.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am asking if receptacles that are installed on an island or peninsula that are more than 12" below the countertop... such as a receptacle that is the standard 12-16" AFF still allowed? I attached a photo that was sent to me asking this same question.

As others have said it is allowed to live there as long as provisions are made for a receptacle that is part of the small appliance branch circuit exists.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
As others have said it is allowed to live there as long as provisions are made for a receptacle that is part of the small appliance branch circuit exists.
Depending on the two rooms involved in this peninsula/island serving as fixed room divider, the 210.52(A) receptacle provided may already be required to be on an SABC.

Cheers, Wayne