circuit tracer

Status
Not open for further replies.

a-1 elec

can anyone recomend a good circuit tracer? i have used the 3m tk3 unit fo4r years. they have discontinued it.i tried the greenlee one but have gotten false readings on breakers. any thoughts thanks guys. :eek:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: circuit tracer

You can make one that works as well as the tracers. Get a flasher element for a lamp socket, and a 150 watt lamp, HD teflon coated type. Assemble the flasher button and lamp into a pigtail socket, and wire the leads to a male 2 prong cord cap.
Plug the tester in. Shortly the lamp will begin to flash, use an ampprobe at the panel the find the circuit with the varying load.

noxx

Just short the hot conductor to the box and go see what tripped...

Kidding of course, Tom that's a great idea btw, it's never occurred to me. I find the Greenlee tracer I use a bit ambiguous back at the panel, will give your flasher unit a try.

tonyi

Originally posted by noxx:
I find the Greenlee tracer I use a bit ambiguous back at the panel
It gets a lot more definitive when its given a slow calibration pass over all the breakers in the panel first. Its also a lot more effective with the cover off and running the probe along lug end of the breakers where the wire is screwed down.

a-1 elec

thanks guys for the help. im looking for something where you dont have to pull the panel covers off.

Status
Not open for further replies.