circuit for small baterry chrgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREEBALL

I am currently asked to install a circuit for small battery chargers for portable radios and electric litters. There will be 6 chargers for litters and 10 chargers for portable radios. The input power for the litter batterys will be 1.2 amps and 0.9 amps for the portable radios. Is there anything I should look into or can I just size accordingly at 80% for the total load and plan on 20 AMP circuit. I can not find much code wise for these small chargers. I am concerned about heating with the chargers being so closed together. I am installing a surge protector for the panel that feeds these but should I derate more than the typical 80% .

thanx
jeff

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Although the CMP's keep moving the NEC farther from the it's stated purpose that it is not a design manual this is an example of when it is not one.

Sounds like all you need a properly wired circuit that is adequate for the load and you are good to go.

What is an "electric litter"?

kwired

Electron manager
Also consider the reality that these chargers will hardly ever draw their full rating, unless you make it a habit of starting a charging session with all units at same time with fully discharged batteries connected to every unit.

I have seen many times where a whole slug of power tool chargers were all on same 15/20 amp circuit or even many notebook computers in a school all plugged into same circuit and never overloads the overcurrent device - this is because few if any are drawing full rated current - and if so, it is not for very long.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Given what they are for, I would use at least two circuits. That way a single breaker that has tripped or been accidentally shut off does not leave all of your radios with dead batteries.

kwired

Electron manager
Given what they are for, I would use at least two circuits. That way a single breaker that has tripped or been accidentally shut off does not leave all of your radios with dead batteries.
I would agree especially since this is likely equipment that may need to be ready for immediate emergency use.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If the chargers plug in separately and you provide a separate receptacle for each charger, then you may have to increase the size of your circuit to provide 180VA per receptacle.

As a design issue (not a code requirement) I agree with Don's point about using two circuits. Another design trick (not a code requirement and probably not relevant here) for 'background' loads is to incorporate a limited but very obvious load onto the same circuit, for example a nearby light. (I believe that Canada used to require a hall light on the smoke detector circuit.)

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.