Circuit breakers with jumper wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaptnkrnx

Check out this wiring arrangement I came across today (I?m a home inspector). This was on a 4 year old home, so I think this is the builder?s handy work. There is a 20A circuit breaker serving a 10 AWG wire with a 12 AWG jumper wire tied into a 15A circuit breaker. The combo circuit breaker was labeled ?A/C spare?. I think it is used for one of the two HVAC units. I wrote it up as requiring further evaluation?This installation/configuration just seems wrong to me! Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any input would be appreciated.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Circuit breakers with jumper wire

Violation of 240.8 Fuses or Circuit Breakers in Parallel.

This combination of a 15 and 20 results in 30 amps of overcurrent protection.

[ March 14, 2004, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

kaptnkrnx

I could not find a 240.8 in the 2002 NEC Pocket Guide (it went from 240.6 to 240.10). I'll check the full NEC. Also, I believe the "A/C spare" requires 30A. Thanks you!

[ March 14, 2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: kaptnkrnx ]

ryan_618

Bob: I agree with your call on the violation, but I don't understand the formula used to get 30 amps. Would you mind showing me the math? Thanks

iwire

Staff member

Forget that breakers are not perfect :p and that they may not trip at just above their rating.

The resistance of each breaker will be close to equal, the current will divide close to equally between the two breakers.

Once the load exceeds 30 amps there will be more than 15 amps on each breaker, the 15 amp breaker will open followed shortly by the 20 amp breaker.

hillbilly

Iwire.
Are you saying that if I tie the handles on two 15A single pole breakers (on opposite phase) that I have in effect created a 30A 2 pole breaker?
steve

iwire

Staff member

No, not at all, I am saying if you have two single pole breakers on the same phase and electrically connect them in parallel that the available current is twice the value of the lowest rated breaker.

hillbilly

Thanks for the reply. I went back and re-read all of the post. I missed the part about the breakers being parallel. I knew that you probably weren't in error and I had visions of red flags in my head.
steve

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by hillbilly:
I knew that you probably weren't in error
Steve you never should assume that, I mess up as much as anyone.

The only thing different about me is I spend a lot of time here and have a big mouth. :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Think double fused ring circuit. (which I like if it could be monitored :D )

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.