Chap 9, Table 11(B)

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Class 2 circuits table 11B, 20-30V shows Current limitations of 8.0 Amps which seems high to be considered a “non-shock” hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Class 2 circuits table 11B, 20-30V shows Current limitations of 8.0 Amps which seems high to be considered a “non-shock” hazard.

GFCIs shut power off at an ampere difference of only 4-6 mili-amperes. Only 40 mili amperes or less creats a shock hazard so yes 8 ampers can do a lot of physical bodily harm / internal organ cooking and death

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
GFCIs shut power off at an ampere difference of only 4-6 mili-amperes. Only 40 mili amperes or less creats a shock hazard so yes 8 ampers can do a lot of physical bodily harm / internal organ cooking and death

According to the inspector class 2 circuits do not require bonding since they are considered to be non shock hazards. Does this make sense?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Voltage also matters. I believe under 50V is not considered to cause muscles to constrict enough to prevent letting go, which is what 5 milliamp at 120V is based on. It is also extremely unlikely your skin will conduct 8 amps at 30V. Realistically the max might be around 30 ma. (Which is the same power as 7.5ma at 120V.) If your body conducted 8 amps that would almost certainly kill you, yes, but that would probably be because you contacted 8000V or more. Voltage matters.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Ever touch the hot terminal of a car battery while you are leaning on a fender? Battery can supply a thousands amps for a short time, enough to melt metals. Are you worried about leaning on the fender while connecting the battery terminals or trying to reach something else?

10 mA through the heart was the old fatal specification. Hard to get 30 volts to pass 10 mA through the heart, even with a lead acid storage battery behind it. Your resistance is what limits the current through you.

So, right, not a shock hazard.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Voltage also matters. I believe under 50V is not considered to cause muscles to constrict enough to prevent letting go, which is what 5 milliamp at 120V is based on. It is also extremely unlikely your skin will conduct 8 amps at 30V. Realistically the max might be around 30 ma. (Which is the same power as 7.5ma at 120V.) If your body conducted 8 amps that would almost certainly kill you, yes, but that would probably be because you contacted 8000V or more. Voltage matters.

Excellent observation. Thanks

Dale001289

Note 1 of that table always confuses me. Vmax and Imax