Change Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Hello. For larger commercial jobs what kind of backup/authorization to proceed with work from the GC, do you require, that's not part of the contract(change order)? Thanks.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
A running email for starters, then a signed company ticket. Then its up to you when to bill.
I have always sat on fix its or change orders for leverage (or whatever) till the end of job.
Email, depending on parties wording, is pretty compelling.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
thanks so I think the GC could tell you to proceed with the work without acknowledging it’s a change to the contract. Would you need/want them to acknowledge that’s it’s not base contract work?
I

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
thanks so I think the GC could tell you to proceed with the work without acknowledging it’s a change to the contract. Would you need/want them to acknowledge that’s it’s not base contract work?
I
If you want to get paid, you'd better be sure to. If the job is running with the AIA standard contracts, even that acknowledgement might not save you. Those contracts make it very clear that any work undertaken without the full approval process being completed is at your own risk.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
If a GC ever seems pissed off because you require a change order request as both email and written, chances are he wanted to get the change done for free. Most of them know that's what we require before commencing with any work. As far as other trades are concerned, we have to work together with them. It is inevitable on a big job that sometimes another trade will damage our work and it will need to be repaired. Unless it's something major, I'll just fix it, keep a record of my time and material. You never know, I may damage something of theirs and it would need repair. In most of these cases, the trades seem to work together and no money needs to change hands. But every now and then, you'll get one who wants to charge you. If you keep good notes on things you've repaired due to their negligence, you can always match your bill to theirs! :)

nizak

If a GC ever seems pissed off because you require a change order request as both email and written, chances are he wanted to get the change done for free. Most of them know that's what we require before commencing with any work. As far as other trades are concerned, we have to work together with them. It is inevitable on a big job that sometimes another trade will damage our work and it will need to be repaired. Unless it's something major, I'll just fix it, keep a record of my time and material. You never know, I may damage something of theirs and it would need repair. In most of these cases, the trades seem to work together and no money needs to change hands. But every now and then, you'll get one who wants to charge you. If you keep good notes on things you've repaired due to their negligence, you can always match your bill to theirs! :)
Have done that many times.

99% of subs we work with on a consistent basis will help each other.

Can only recall one who I got into pis———- match with.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you want to get paid, you'd better be sure to. If the job is running with the AIA standard contracts, even that acknowledgement might not save you. Those contracts make it very clear that any work undertaken without the full approval process being completed is at your own risk.
Yes we have a AIA contract. Offhand, what's the full approval process for these type contracts? I will look into as well.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
My thing is the GC can so go ahead and price and perform the work but that's not acknowledging it's a change. Well I guess if they say to submit pricing then that is implying it's additional work.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
My change orders were always at T&M rates. This rate was listed on the change order and by signing, the GC agrees to that rate.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Yes we have a AIA contract. Offhand, what's the full approval process for these type contracts? I will look into as well.
The process will be spelled out in the contract or as an appendix or addendum to the contract. It won't be something just popping into your e-mail in box.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
My thing is the GC can so go ahead and price and perform the work but that's not acknowledging it's a change. Well I guess if they say to submit pricing then that is implying it's additional work.
with an AIA contract, when there is a need for a change, its usually dealt with by the architect issuing a RFP - request for price. That will go through the GC both to you, and back through the GC again to the architect. The GC will add whatever markup they are allowed to your price, and add any other subcontactors that might be needed.

Then, if the architect and client argee with the pricing, they will issue a change order that is signed by the architect, the owner, and the GC.

Most contractors won't do anything without the change order, unless it's really minor and they have some kind of indication the work will be approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.