Challenger Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Is the wall of the can really thick enough to get the 250.8(A)(5) two threads engagement?

While it isn't the prettiest thing in the world, the easiest thing to do is remove some ground wires and pigtail them to a single hole freeing up however many the OP needs. This was suggested by an earlier poster.
Good question. I don't know if it is thick enough to meet that requirement. It is something I have done many times over the years on work that has been inspected. Maybe that has been something that has gotten past my inspectors. The small ground bars have always tightened down well and haven't stripped the threads.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Most, if not all, panel cans have holes predrilled for additional bars to be added. I don't recall seeing a raised spot that is any thicker than the rest of the can. So drilling and tapping new holes isn't a problem.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
They wouldn't be floating as they are mounted directly to the can. They don't have to connect to the neutral bar as it should be bonded to the can already.
Yeah, should be. If the bonding screw was installed or it is a service rated ONLY panel.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Most, if not all, panel cans have holes predrilled for additional bars to be added. I don't recall seeing a raised spot that is any thicker than the rest of the can. So drilling and tapping new holes isn't a problem.
Good point. If I were the inspector, I would accept that argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.