CH AFCI compatibility with older load center

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckelley3

I am working on a remodel of an apartment unit with an older model CH load center that I believe is from the late 70’s. I am adding a few circuits that require AFCI protection and I grabbed a CH120AF breaker from old stock that I had (probably 7-10 years old) and it will not snap in do to an interference show in red on the pictures. (The one pic has both a standard breaker and AFCI in it to show the difference). After looking at the pics of the current AFCI/GFCI breakers Eaton is offering, it appears they look a bit different and I’m wondering it they fixed the compatibility issue. Anyone experienced this? If the newer design still isn’t compatible, I’m going to be forced to replace the load center.
1879a5b727be72d7a0045511261f133d.jpg

8e07b933fd994491e980a2a6395adfa0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't work with CH much so can't really comment on the current compatibility but would say your best option would to to just try a new breaker.

The breaker your were trying to use would not comply with the NEC for new circuits. It is a Branch Circuit and Feeder type AFCI. Combination type AFCI's have been required since 2008.

ckelley3

I don't work with CH much so can't really comment on the current compatibility but would say your best option would to to just try a new breaker.

The breaker your were trying to use would not comply with the NEC for new circuits. It is a Branch Circuit and Feeder type AFCI. Combination type AFCI's have been required since 2008.

I might be mistaken on the part number. I left the breaker at the job site and pulled a number off a breaker that had the same geometric shape. I’m pretty sure is was a combination type that I was trying to install, as it was definitely left over from a job that required them. The main question is whether Eaton has changed the shape to make the current version compatible with older panels. Thanks for your insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Is the problem only that one location with the bolt head in the bus, or won't it fit in any slot?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
That seems like a rejection tab like you'd see for tandems. It does not make sense to me that it would be on a single pole AFCI. But maybe check if that plastic bar on the panel goes the whole way up, as many rejection features on panels are only on a portion of the slots. Sorry I'm not familiar enough with CH to be more helpful.

norcal

That panel is a early design CH panel from 1960's, from the era when panels were overbuilt compared to today.

Status
Not open for further replies.