Ceiling Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

John120/240

What is the reasoning to require all new C-Fans to have candlelabra base bulbs. Isn't a 60 watt candlelbara base bulb the same as a 60 watt
medium base bulb as far as watts consumed? Thank You this site is a wealth of information.

stars13bars2

Some fans are for looks and others are for light. If the fans that carry five lights can not provide enough light, you need to look for other sources of light, like lamps or recessed. If you are buying the fan for looks and it has only one or two lamps then you definately need other sources of light.

I did not like the change at first, only because I was caught on several houses that had a mixture of medium base fans and candelabra base fans.

After seeing literally dozens of fan light kit sockets crumble in my hands after being overlamped, I am in favor of forcing happy homeowner to limit the lamp wattage they install in a sixty watt socket.

c2500

I think I recall a discussion here about this very topic. The reason they went to the candleabra was to prevent over-lamping. I can't remember if it was a government thing or what that caused the change.

c2500

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
What is the reasoning to require all new C-Fans to have candlelabra base bulbs. Isn't a 60 watt candlelbara base bulb the same as a 60 watt
medium base bulb as far as watts consumed?
Interesting question; the local shops said a year ago that all had to have this new base between candelabra and medium. The reason given is that base was only available up to 40W.

Grocery and hardware stores, big Blue and big Orange don't know what my son is talking about, and have never seen what he carries in to show them.

480sparky

Interesting question; the local shops said a year ago that all had to have this new base between candelabra and medium. The reason given is that base was only available up to 40W.

Grocery and hardware stores, big Blue and big Orange don't know what my son is talking about, and have never seen what he carries in to show them.

Admedium base, and it's not 'new'.

electricmanscott

I think I recall a discussion here about this very topic. The reason they went to the candleabra was to prevent over-lamping. I can't remember if it was a government thing or what that caused the change.

c2500

How many years have we had fixtures with medium base sockets? There has certainly been tons of over lamping with those fixtures yet they still make them.

stars13bars2

If there is a base between candelabra and medium that is limited to 40 watts,it would be the intermediate, which is not new either. As I remember admedium lamps are available in at least 100 watt versions.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
1st time I've seen a 300. 200 is biggest I saw or heard of before. A few small aids with fan lights: Use clear bulbs, not frosted. Clear give about 40 extra lumens or so. Use standard bulbs instead of "heavy duty fan bulbs". The heavy duty put out about 40 less than standard. #'s may be off a bit but check me out on the spread. I like the candelabra keeping bulbs to 60 watt; have seen much damage from overbulbing. I've seen a few fans with a quartz bulb at 100 or 150 watts. Good light, care must be taken loading the bulb. Doesn't always make good contact with spring terminals. You'd think the design is good, but I've seen a lot work loose somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.