ceiling fan in pergola

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

A customer is asking for a ceiling fan to be installed in a pergola (a structure usually consisting of parallel colonnades supporting an open roof of girders and cross rafters). I have installed them on porches that have a roof to keep out rain but I don't know if totally open to the elements is OK. Do they make a special fan for this?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: ceiling fan in pergola

just for the heck of it, i asked the source of all knowledge (google).

it came up with many hits for weatherproof ceiling fans.

mkgrady

Thanks for response Peter. I'm still concerned that weatherproof might apply to an outdoor location with a roof over it like a porch. I wonder if weatherproof means it can get rained and snowed on in a pergola?

southernboys

Dont know if itll help but heres def for weather proof constructed or protected so that exposure to the weather will not interfere with sucessful operations fpn gives impression that this includes snow and such

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by mkgrady:
Thanks for response Peter. I'm still concerned that weatherproof might apply to an outdoor location with a roof over it like a porch. I wonder if weatherproof means it can get rained and snowed on in a pergola?
You cann get fans that are indeed rated for wet locations.

mkgrady

If you don't use the box as the "sole support" there is no requirment for a fan box.

I never thought about the box. I can't picture how a fan will mount on a weatherproof 4" round that is surface mounted on a beam without being very ugly. It seems like a plastic pancake box would at least be hidden from view and protected by the fan canopy. :confused:

sandsnow

Originally posted by hurk27:
Seems you would need a wet location fan box?
If you don't use the box as the "sole support" there is no requirment for a fan box. :D
True enough. I just can't picture how you would do that without drilling holes in the box, which you're not supposed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.