CATV and Older Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my situation, I'm trying to advise cable TV company on what to do. They purchased the cable distribution for a large residential planned community, and are upgrading their current underground outside plant with new cable to the existing splitter.

1. Homes are older, built in 60's or 70's probably, all are multi-family, duplex, triplex, quadplex, etc. Electrical power is from outside underground feeders, owned by the property manager in some cases, and utility service in others.

2. Electrical panels are on a common interior wall, and apparently were grounded and bonded in the same common utility room. The underground feeder (or service conductors) and cold water pipe run some distance under the floor slab and are thus inaccessible at the exterior.

3. There is no way to get to the electrical panel or service ground with concealed wiring without a fair amount of work, including cutting into finished walls and ceiling. Contacting all of the residents and scheduling all the work could literally take years, housing unit ownership is condominimum, so the property management company does not have as much right to force entry as in an apartment complex.

4. The existing cable TV service was grounded via separate exterior electrode, but not bonded to the service/outside feeder grounding electrode.

5. The cable TV company has proposed bonding the existing ground rod to the outside AC unit disconnect, which has a #10 EGC to the electrical panel. I don't think this meets code.

My question is, does the cable TV company have responsibility here to meet NEC 820? Why can't they say that they are exempt from the entire NEC per 90.2 (B)(2)? The electrical inspector will not rule because no permits were issued, as no permits are required for this outside work. The homes all had cable TV service with the improper bonding before the new company got involved. Ideally the situation should have been known before the new company purchased the system, so the purchase agreement could have identified the problem and spelled out responsibility to fix, either with the Owner or contractor. But that did not happen and it is too late to go back now.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: CATV and Older Homes

I have noticed that telco and cable companies have taken a pretty "relaxed" approach to grounding and bounding. often they drive their own ground rod and attach their grounding conductors there, and don't bother to connect it to the home's ground rod. I am always amazed to see a "utility" ground rod pounded into the ground a few inches from the electrical service ground rod and not have some kind of connection between them.

dereckbc

Staff member

Originally posted by line_noise:
My question is, does the cable TV company have responsibility here to meet NEC 820? Why can't they say that they are exempt from the entire NEC per 90.2 (B)(2)?
1. Yes
2. Before they hit the demarc they are under NESC rules. Once they hit the demarc they are under NEC rules

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

We did a few of these developments back in the 80's as a contractor for the cable companies. Usually the meters at least are in a common area and a ground can be run in raceway or conduit. Might not look pretty but it can be done.

Problem here is that the cable company is not going to want to spend a lot of time or money on this without being forced to. The electrical inspector has abdicated his responsibility (in effect taken the NEC with him) and all you can do is tell them how it should be done. You have already gotten a typical answer from them- ground it to the A/C disconnect. Unless you can get the electrical inspector in on this as an enforcement authority I don't see what you are going to do by yourself.

-Hal

hurk27

How about liability?

If a cable company does something to cause a more likelihood of damage from a lightning strike by not having the cable properly grounded and bonded it could wined up in court. This alone has cause our tel-co to rethink there policy on grounding of incoming tel-co wire to a building. By them not installing the cable to the proper codes to show a reasonable attempt to protect a customers property and even there lives could be a big loss in court. I think this would get there attention. Or at least something to think about.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Wayne, I agree with you and whenever we did this work we made sure that the grounding was proper.

Unfortunately cable companies in particular do not think that way. They too have rethought their grounding methods. Remember the 3'x 3/8" ground rods? They no longer use them but their "standard" is still a lame attempt at code compliance.

My opinion here is that they will weasel out of doing things right because it will cost them money. As for law suits, ever consider the lawyers an outfit like Cablevision has? They will just look back on all the years that they never put much thought into grounding and consider that nothing was ever pinned on them. Why change things now when the CEO needs another house in the Bahammas. :D

-Hal

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.