Can lights and a hard ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNGuy81

I was working with a buddy couple days ago in a new addition on a house and got to thinking about these can lights that are going into a hard ceiling. I know all jboxes have to be exposed/acceptable and I started thinking on the back of those cans that is technically a jbox (the stud to stud nail ins, not the little pop in cans) Do these have to be accessible? I am assuming yes which would mean there is going to have to be a hatch somewhere if this is the case. Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
They are accessible by taking the can out of the trim part. This is usually done by removing 3 or 4 screws and pushing the can out of the way. Now if you can't remove the can then you have problems. \

I did a job where they installed that hard packed insulation and you couldn't get to the box at all.

TNGuy81

These have the 2x4 or whatever boxes with the 1/2" ko's on them up to the side of the cans. They really want be accessible at all when the rock goes up(the joints are enclosed in the jbox with the little metal clip that clips to the back to access it). They are similar to commercial grade cans (6x6). I have installed these before in a hard celling but I really never thought about it because i was told to do it by the Foreman. These are not the kind you just cut in and can pull in and out. They nail to the rafters... I am just not sure on the code part and if that is classified as a jbox that must be accessible. I am thinking yes it should but im not 100%

wireguy8169

These have the 2x4 or whatever boxes with the 1/2" ko's on them up to the side of the cans. They really want be accessible at all when the rock goes up(the joints are enclosed in the jbox with the little metal clip that clips to the back to access it). They are similar to commercial grade cans (6x6). I have installed these before in a hard celling but I really never thought about it because i was told to do it by the Foreman. These are not the kind you just cut in and can pull in and out. They nail to the rafters... I am just not sure on the code part and if that is classified as a jbox that must be accessible. I am thinking yes it should but im not 100%

But they will be accesible, the internal part of the can comes out and you can get to it, only a few screws as was stated by Dennis.

TNGuy81

ok yes the trim does come out but it will be a mother to access those.. You will have to stick your hand/arm through the hole and be a contortionist to get to them. :roll: But "technically" i guess they are "accessible"..

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
ok yes the trim does come out but it will be a mother to access those.. You will have to stick your hand/arm through the hole and be a contortionist to get to them. :roll: But "technically" i guess they are "accessible"..
I have done it with 4" cans so a 6" is a breeze.:grin:

TNGuy81

yeah and typcially you can leave the conductors long and that even makes it more of a breez..

Not really because the joints are in a totally separate place with the ballast back to back of the jbox. Its still a pain in the rear.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.