CALIFORNIA WORKERS RIGHTS - Versa Other States

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired

Know Your Rights​

Here are 10 things workers should know about their rights:

• You have the right to organize and join a union.
  • You may be an employee even if you are called a contractor.
  • You have several, important wage-and-hour-rights, including the right to a minimum wage.
  • Your wages, tips, and accrued vacation are yours.
  • You may be entitled to time off — both paid and unpaid.
  • You are protected from sexual harassment and discrimination in the workplace, by California law.
  • You may be eligible for unemployment insurance if you are fired or quit your job for good cause.
  • You may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits.
  • You can reasonably refuse to do unsafe work.
  • Your employer cannot retaliate against you for exercising your rights.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
What about employers rights
Only large corporations get those, your company is too small to have rights. I don't think you are allowed to have "policies" either. You know like when you're having a problem with some big company and the twit that is giving you problems says "Our Policy is" like it's something carved in stone by the hand of God.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

Know Your Rights​

Here are 10 things workers should know about their rights:

• You have the right to organize and join a union.
  • You may be an employee even if you are called a contractor.
  • You have several, important wage-and-hour-rights, including the right to a minimum wage.
  • Your wages, tips, and accrued vacation are yours.
  • You may be entitled to time off — both paid and unpaid.
  • You are protected from sexual harassment and discrimination in the workplace, by California law.
  • You may be eligible for unemployment insurance if you are fired or quit your job for good cause.
  • You may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits.
  • You can reasonably refuse to do unsafe work.
  • Your employer cannot retaliate against you for exercising your rights.
I don't think this is very different, if at all, from New Jersey.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The only one I really take issue with is the first one, the right to organize and join a Union. Because buried within that simple sentence is most likely a one-way discriminatory scheme.

Sure, you have a right to join a union - but do you have a right to NOT join a union?

Case in point, I tried to get a job with Union Pacific Railroad back in the 90s. I was told they only hire out of the union. So I would have to go to the hall and sign up. But I didn't want to join a union. Too bad. No job. I was discriminated against because of my preference to be non-union. And it was ok in Missouri to discriminate on the basis of that preference.

But years later I had a job in Kansas, a right-to-work state. We were so busy that they called the hall to have about a dozen guys sent out. Big problems came when time for Christmas bonuses, and the union guys wanted a bonus check. Boss told them to go to the hall and see if they have any bonus checks there.

Union guys got pissed off and went on strike. So the boss fired them all. And that part was ok, but then he decided to institute a policy that the company would no longer hire union workers. Then the National Labor Relations Board got involved because he was discriminating against union employees. The settlement cost us over half of our next 2 Christmas bonuses, about $4,000 for each worker.

It just needs to be a two-way street
If discrimination is allowed, it should go both ways. If discrimination is not allowed, it needs to go both ways

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
The only one I really take issue with is the first one, the right to organize and join a Union. Because buried within that simple sentence is most likely a one-way discriminatory scheme.

Sure, you have a right to join a union - but do you have a right to NOT join a union?

Case in point, I tried to get a job with Union Pacific Railroad back in the 90s. I was told they only hire out of the union. So I would have to go to the hall and sign up. But I didn't want to join a union. Too bad. No job. I was discriminated against because of my preference to be non-union. And it was ok in Missouri to discriminate on the basis of that preference.

But years later I had a job in Kansas, a right-to-work state. We were so busy that they called the hall to have about a dozen guys sent out. Big problems came when time for Christmas bonuses, and the union guys wanted a bonus check. Boss told them to go to the hall and see if they have any bonus checks there.

Union guys got pissed off and went on strike. So the boss fired them all. And that part was ok, but then he decided to institute a policy that the company would no longer hire union workers. Then the National Labor Relations Board got involved because he was discriminating against union employees. The settlement cost us over half of our next 2 Christmas bonuses, about $4,000 for each worker.

It just needs to be a two-way street
If discrimination is allowed, it should go both ways. If discrimination is not allowed, it needs to go both ways
Welcome to the world of lobbyists