Calculation help?

FranklinMade

Occupation
Electrician Apprentice
What would be the minimum general lighting demand for a 2000 sq ft residence with 2 small appliance circuits and a laundry circuit?
A. 10,500
B. 6,000
C. 5,625
D. 3,675

I can not do calculations to save my life. Please help

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Oh, the fun of the math you never knew you'd need.
The Demand Factor gets calculated just like some of the do-it-yourself income tax tables.

The Demand Factor is at 220.42.

I don't think I'm giving anything away if I say you take the first 3000 at 100%.

The next numbers from 3001 to 120,000 is taken at 35%.

Here's how you calculate percentages....
"Percent means ''OF 100.""

If you have sales tax of 7%, that's 7 cents of every dollar. $7 of every $100. How?
You need to look at the Percentage as a fraction-- 7/100 = .07 Multiply .07 x 100 to find that you're going to pay $7 tax for every hundred dollars of merchandise you buy.
To calculate sales tax of 7% for something that costs $500, you multiply the .07 x 500 = $35 For $150 the tax is $10.50

For the next block of VA(~watts), you calculate the 35% of that second block of VA(~watts) the same way--
35% would be 35/100, or .35 of every 100.
You start with the number of VA(~watts) you calculated for the full load of the residence.
3000 of that is taken at 100% (100/100 = 1, so that's 3000)
Subtract that 3000 from the total VA. That's the next block. In this case, it's less that 120,000, so use the full amount that's left.
Just multiply .35 times that amount to find the VA for that remainder.
Add the 3000 from the first chunk, to get your total.

I think you'll find the number is

Last edited by a moderator:

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
I took 2000x3=6000
2 small app x 1500 = 3000
1 laundry @ 1500 = 1500
Total 🟰 10,500.
First 3000 @ 1000%
Remaining 6500
@ 35%
3000 @100%
6500*.35= 2275 + 3000=5275
It would be 10,500 - the first 3,000 @ 100 % = remaining 7,500 * 35%= 2,625 + 3,000 = 5,625
👍
Edit , took bold away on 3000.
Should have highlighted 1000% only

Last edited:

HEYDOG

What would be the minimum general lighting demand for a 2000 sq ft residence with 2 small appliance circuits and a laundry circuit?
A. 10,500
B. 6,000
C. 5,625
D. 3,675

I can not do calculations to save my life. Please help
If your apprenticeship doesn’t teach basic Algebra….the best thing you could do to help yourself greatly is to take a basic Algebra class at the community college. I took Algebra in High school and just barely scraped by. Years later when I decided on a career as an Electrician I had a hard time transposing around Ohms Law. I Went to the Community College and took Three Semester of Algebra, Trigonometry, and Geometry. Made calculations a breeze after that. You wouldn’t need to take all 3 of these. IMO I would for sure take an Algebra class. You will find that you will only get out of a class what you put into it. I always made a comparison for my students to a Gym Membership…..Just because you have a Membership you are not going to notice any difference if you don’t use it! If you just bring your books home from school and put them on the table and pick them up again next week on the way to class you are not going to learn much that way. Not trying to be critical! You can get great at calculations if you really want to! Good luck with your Apprenticeship.

FranklinMade

Occupation
Electrician Apprentice
If your apprenticeship doesn’t teach basic Algebra….the best thing you could do to help yourself greatly is to take a basic Algebra class at the community college. I took Algebra in High school and just barely scraped by. Years later when I decided on a career as an Electrician I had a hard time transposing around Ohms Law. I Went to the Community College and took Three Semester of Algebra, Trigonometry, and Geometry. Made calculations a breeze after that. You wouldn’t need to take all 3 of these. IMO I would for sure take an Algebra class. You will find that you will only get out of a class what you put into it. I always made a comparison for my students to a Gym Membership…..Just because you have a Membership you are not going to notice any difference if you don’t use it! If you just bring your books home from school and put them on the table and pick them up again next week on the way to class you are not going to learn much that way. Not trying to be critical! You can get great at calculations if you really want to! Good luck with your Apprenticeship.
Thanks. I actually already finished. Scored
a 92% first try on South Dakota. Am going to test for another state here soon. I don’t know why but calculations are the hardest thing for me. It’s as if I just can’t get what they are asking for 🤷‍♂️

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Get some study material that shows how they get the answer. Once you see it enough it will start to click.

I personally like Mikes and Ray holders material.

I made it through high school being a DUD and skimming by the seat of my pants. I took geometry twice😝.
Drove truck for a couple years than got into electrical work.

Started studying for electrical test and realized I was doing algebra and never even considered what it was.

I currently have my WV masters. There is hope! Don’t give up.

HEYDOG

Thanks. I actually already finished. Scored
a 92% first try on South Dakota. Am going to test for another state here soon. I don’t know why but calculations are the hardest thing for me. It’s as if I just can’t get what they are asking for 🤷‍♂️
What Test did you pass?