Cable Suitable for Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDBoard

Does anyone know of a type of power cable that is MSHA approved and permissible in a classified area? I'm dealing with some very long lengths and would like to avoid using conduit.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: Cable Suitable for Mine

Depending on the application, this is not typically an NEC issue. See Section 90(B)(2).

Having said that, again depending on the application, there are several cable constructions that are suitable for mines.

Since I do not know the application(s) you have in mind, I would suggest contacting the major cable manufactures directly. Most of them will have no problem pointing you in the right direction.

Edit Corrected spelling errors

[ February 10, 2006, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: rbalex ]

Re: Cable Suitable for Mine

Originally posted by BDBoard:
Does anyone know of a type of power cable that is MSHA approved and permissible in a classified area? I'm dealing with some very long lengths and would like to avoid using conduit.
Worked with a local electric supplier for some long-cord/high-amperage applications and they suggested using "G" cord. "G" cord is for mine applications and it places a ground lead over each conductor. This arrangement is to proved improved protection in the event of a cut/break in the multicable. Since a ground is on the outside of every hot conductor any cross-cut on the mult-calbe will go first through a ground wire and then hit a hot conductor. Check with cord manufactors for approval in using this cord in mine applications.
"G" cord is also less expensive than most SOW and related heavy-duty rated cords above 2AWG.

Status
Not open for further replies.