Cable Pullers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJBoyd

I'm in the market for a cable puller, looking at the maxis pull it 3000. Anyone have any experience with using one and what do they cost?

Kevin

highkvoltage

Re: Cable Pullers

,To much. Greenlee's version is only $450. Maxis is about 5 times that. What they want for a Maxis I would just buy a regular Greenlee tugger.

mdshunk

I took a night time welding class at a local tech school and made myself one. That's not the reason I took the class, but if you're handy you could make one for next to nothing.

hurk27

When I was on my own for a while I bought a portable wench at Sam's club for $99.00. It came with a 10' 12 volt power cord and a 10' control cable with a push button for control and 30' of 5/16 cable.
I took and made a wireless control out of an 12 volt X10 module and key chain remote control, I use a batery jump starter for the 12 volt supply, and reloaded the spool with 200' HD 1/4" aircraft cable with a 2500# test strength I have a small limit switch to kill it when the cable is through the end. Makes a one man pull a breeze. I can be at one end feeding the pipe and it does all the work. :D
Just don't tell IOSHA :p

Edited to add that it get's my van unstuck to boot. :eek:

[ July 07, 2005, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

tkb

I have both the Greenlee Super Tugger and the Maxis 3000 with the Super Hawg drill motor.

Even though the Maxis advertises the puller will pull 500 mcm I wouldnt recommend it.
It puts a lot of stress on the frame and the cables are too large to come over the sheave on the puller.

I would recommend this puller for all pulls 2" and under though. It is a very good puller if you keep it's limitations in mind.

We use this puller more than we would if we did not have it. It is easy to set up and take down.
Better than pulling by hand.

Save the larger pulls for Greenlee.

mdshunk

Related to pulling... I pulled parking lot lighting with the hitch ball on a van once. I pulled some 600 for the feed to a buss duct in a factory with a tow motor. I subscribe to the "do whatever it taked" school of conductor pulling.

We have the Maxis and it saves you time and money.It does not take alot of space and sets up in minutes. Good for 2" and under.
Also have the Ultra Tugger with the ulta feeder.Great for large pulls and takes about an hour to set up.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.