Buzzzing Arc Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly

I just powered up a new house and have been finishing up a few things. Yesterday when I walked by the panel I heard one of the (3) Arc fault breakers buzzing (not loud). This breaker supplies the lighting for 3 bedrooms. I turned it off, reset it and it stopped for a while. Later on I noticed it buzzing again, so I pulled the cover, disconnected it and check for continuity between the neutral, ground and hot. Nothing, all clear.
I swapped conductors with another circuit and turned it back on, and it started buzzing again (same breaker), which leads me to believe that the breaker is defective. Later on I felt of the breaker and it was warm. This is a Seimens 20A single pole, and the load that I had turned on was 1 light and 3 ceiling fan motors, I calculate about 8 amps load. I pulled the breaker to look at the lug and it looked good and felt snug. The breaker tests and resets OK. Anyone else ever have this problem? Any ideas?
steve

bphgravity

Yes, there is a loose part or component within the breaker. It may or may not be impairing the operation of the device. I would replace it.

wireman3736

I think if you listen closely you'll be able to here a 60 cycle hum from almost all arc-fault breakers. Also they seem to get warmer then your regular breakers, I was told (not to be quoted:) ) that there was a concern when they first came out in regards to the heat, I was told that it would be good practice to separate the breakers from each other, I did this in the beginning but I think if there was a real concern then there would be some kinda warning with the breaker, so now I just install them where ever they land.:D

iwire

Staff member
It will be interesting when all the 15 and 20 amp branch circuits will have AFCIs. It should make for a loud and warm panel.

Can we send a bill to the manufactures for the wasted power? ;)

GUNNING

One of the first AFCI breakers I installed did that. I had to replace it because of nusance tripping and found out it was one of those Square D DEFECTIVE AFCI specials. I still have the breaker in the van. I just have to find the time to document and return it to Square D. Like I dont have better things to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.