Buried Telephone & Service Lateral ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarg1

Can Service conductors and telephone wire be run in the same trench? Is there a minimum seperation for it to be ok? Thanks to all who reply.

bphgravity

Re: Buried Telephone & Service Lateral ?

This could be a utility issue, meaning one or the other utility companies will not permit the one or the other in the same trench. The code is pretty silent on the issue. See Article 800 for more specific installations of communications systems.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

As said, the NEC has nothing to say about this. We have many times run telephone, CATV and electric in the same trench. Hopefully it has been dug with a machine that has at least an 18" wide bucket. I go along and kick the service to one side and the telephone and CATV to the other.

-Hal

gndrod

I have 'green' books from two different States and they run consistant with residential trench sharing of the primary Lateral and the communication service being at least 12" separation between the two. I am looking at a 30" wide that includes the gas line at the same depth set 12" separation from the Tel com in the middle. The pvc is 1" min with pull cord included. Water and sewer trenches are separate.

In commercial pwr and Tel were separate.

rbj, Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.