Burial, conduit, and GFI requirements of feeder circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

exoticmagneto

The vast majority of my work is installing submersible pumps in the public lakes around our location.

I often must run 240V pump cable down a rocky hillside where no rocksaw would dare venture - - - - to reach the water, then often 100 feet into the lake.

What does NEC say about burial requirements if the rocky ground is 40 degree hillside with solid rock underneath ?

Is there any allowance for just conduiting and laying this pump cable on top of the ground ?

Does code require these "feeders" heading towards the water's edge to be GFI'd ?

I was operating under the assumption the subpanel on the dock would have GFI's for various appliances - - but does code require the main feeder to be GFI'd if it crosses the water's edge ?

On a related subject, I see dozens and dozens of fat 200 amp service SJ or SJO looking rubber jacketed feeders never in any conduit and never buried - - - - - - supplying the docks to power boat lifts, fans, etc.

These cables usually go right into the water for 20 to 30 feet and then emerge up on to the dock.

One lake is constant level, and the other lake can go up 40 feet at once in a flood as it has twice in the last 8 years.

Electricians are almost always installing these dock cables, many are Masters (or under the direction of a Master).

I have never seen any of these dock cables connected to a GFI in the panel at the main house.

Is there some sort of code allowance for these feeders not to be GFI'd and not to be in any conduit / not to be buried ?

luckylerado

Which code are you working under? All of what you have asked is addressed in various articles in the code but if there is no enforcement what can you do??

I suggest reading Art. 300, 682, 553, and 555. It is also important to recognize the difference between feeders and branch circuits in terms of GFI protection. FWIW I strongly believe a residential dock meets the definition of a "floating building" and 553 should apply to those structures. JMO

exoticmagneto

Which code are you working under? All of what you have asked is addressed in various articles in the code but if there is no enforcement what can you do??

I suggest reading Art. 300, 682, 553, and 555. It is also important to recognize the difference between feeders and branch circuits in terms of GFI protection. FWIW I strongly believe a residential dock meets the definition of a "floating building" and 553 should apply to those structures. JMO

If you would be kind enough to point me to a link where I can study the codes you specify, I have no access to it otherwise.
Texas is 2014 NEC I believe.

exoticmagneto

Type in NFPA into Google.

Much easier is just buy one for ~100 bucks.

OK, I did just that.

It's a revolving door that just keeps leading you back to the NFPC site, no NEC access.

I finally got to a site called NEC Online access, but again no link to get to the code, just run around stuff.

Guess I'll have to go the the library.

user 100

OK, I did just that.

It's a revolving door that just keeps leading you back to the NFPC site, no NEC access.

I finally got to a site called NEC Online access, but again no link to get to the code, just run around stuff.

Yes, Tx is 2014-since Sept 1st of that year.

It's a little costly but since you do this work, it's best to just buy the book- go to Amazon, any book store or even your local supply house and get a copy. I agree the sections posted by luckylaredo are going to be pertinent to you.

Last edited:

jumper

OK, I did just that.

I have no clue why you cannot access, I have did it for at least 6+ years now.

Did you get get an email confirming that you signed up correctly?

Note that you must use the free membership links and not the ones for a regular paying member.

Status
Not open for further replies.