Buck & Boost for 120V Outdoor Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Not necessarily... depends on the objective...

No, it does not depend. A typical PC UPS does not regulate voltage.

But here, the object seems to be simply to keep voltage from going way too high or way too low for non critical equipment like lights and gate motors. I just verified a 3kva UPS I have here on an old 6 switch setting isolation transformer; it of course fed straight through 108 to 135vac, but went to UPS 118vac output when I went down to 98vac input and above 138vac input. So for this use, like our computers, I think a cheap UPS probably would be sufficient. Of course the proof is in the details; once data is obtained on the exact components to be powered, their specs can be checked to verify this type of range is still acceptable.
View attachment 15196

So your suggestion here is that when the voltage drops below say 108 the UPS switches to battery.

It is at this point the inverters limitations will show up when it tries to start a motor load.

I find it kind of surprising that first you come down hard on the OP for asking a question then you preceded to present what I would describe as DIY type options.

hkme

HKME

HKME

I have used this trick several times and it works for long runs of existing installations ( including parking lot lights)
If this is a dedicated circuit, you can change it to 240V, and then set a 240/120 transformer at the gate. This will reduce the voltage loss, and double the amt. of current available. I successfully ran 480V to a sign 850 ft. from a house panel on #10 THHN/THWN wire then transformed it down. Saved me from digging up a lot of blacktop.
Hank

JFletcher

There isn't any power to the gates now, there isn't even a gate yet;). Customer is getting it installed and gate company said they needed 120V on each side of driveway.
Customer wants to use existing circuit for landscape spot lights and do away with the spot lights.

The circuit could be long the way it has to wind around to hit all the lights. He wants to run the power from the light that is closest to the gate. I have no idea where that light fits in as far as it's place along the circuit. Could be the first light, middle, or last.
This was a late appointment and it started raining so I don't have a lot of the details I need yet.

Use LEDs for the landscape/post/spotlights and you wont be disappointed. We laid a ton of them (okay, about 35) Thursday... at 3-11W ea, it takes a LONG time to come close to maxing out a 300W xfmr.

big john

...If this is a dedicated circuit, you can change it to 240V, and then set a 240/120 transformer at the gate....
Definitely. If you're considering spending money on a transformer anyway, might as well get one that doesn't risk damaging the equipment: Power everything locally from a 2kVA tranny.

If I were to chose a Plan B it would be to order a 240 gate opener, though the battery gate opener is also a clever solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.