Bringing both EGC and IGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have branch circuit from panelboard inside to menu boards outside for restaurant. The branch circuit consists of phase, neutral, equipment grounding conductor and isolated equipment grounding conductor.

Is it not in code compliance if one brings equipment grounding conductor and isolated equipment grounding conductor to menu board? Can you bring both or just one?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
When an isolated ground is specified, there is usually a requirement to carry it all the way back to the main panel without any intermediate connections to an EGC. There is also significant discussion on whether any modern equipment benefits from an isolated ground outside a hospital setting.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
When an isolated ground is specified, there is usually a requirement to carry it all the way back to the main panel without any intermediate connections to an EGC. There is also significant discussion on whether any modern equipment benefits from an isolated ground outside a hospital setting.

Ok but in my case IGC does go back all the way to main service panel without intermidate panel but from last panelboard their is also regular EGC brought to the load. So both are brought to the load not just one

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer

Well I have two menu boards and I have two lights lights outside.

So from panelboard to pull box inside I have 4#10+4#12+4#10EGC + 4#10IGC all in one conduit for two menu boards and two lights outside. All loads fed from 20A branch circuit breakers.

From pullbox they separate: for two lights I have 4#12+2#12EGC+2#12IGC separate conduit and for two menu boards I have 4#10+2#12EGC+2#IGC.l separate conduit.

So from incoming to pull box it’s #10EGC and #10IGC but then they split to #12EGC, #12IGC for lights but remain #10EGC , #10IGC for menu boards .

Can you split size from#10 to #12 as mention above EGC and IGC for lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Well I have two menu boards and I have two lights outside.

So from panelboard to pull box inside I have 4#10+4#12+4#10EGC + 4#10IGC all in one conduit for two menu boards and two lights outside. All loads fed from 20A branch circuit breakers.

From pullbox they separate: for two lights I have 4#12+2#12EGC+2#12IGC separate conduit and for two menu boards I have 4#10+2#12EGC+2#IGC.l separate conduit.

So from incoming to pull box it’s #10EGC and #10IGC but then they split to #12EGC, #12IGC for lights but remain #10EGC , #10IGC for menu boards .

Can you split size from#10 to #12 as mention above EGC and IGC for lights?

Edited the above post to make it more clear:

Edited:

Well I have two menu boards and I have two lights lights outside.

So from panelboard to pull box inside I have 4#10+4#12+1#10EGC + 1#10IGC all in one conduit for two menu boards and two lights outside. All loads fed from 20A branch circuit breakers 120V single phase.

From pullbox they separate: for two lights I have 4#12+2#12EGC+2#12IGC separate conduit and for two menu boards I have 4#10+2#10EGC+2#10IGC in separate conduit.

Can you tap size from#10 to #12 as mention above EGC and IGC for lights?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Unless you're using the IG for equipment grounding purposes you are required to bring the EGC along with the IG.

d0nut

Not to hijack this thread, but an ungrounded, isolated power system used in a hospital in locations such as an OR is a completely different system than an isolated ground system. In fact, isolated grounding receptacles are prohibited inside of a patient care vicinity (see 517.16).

Status
Not open for further replies.