Breaking the tab on a duplex = how many amps allowed?

cppoly

If you have a 20A duplex receptacle and you break the tab to allow for separate circuits, is EACH receptacle good for 20A (total of 40A) or are you limited to 20A in total.

Where can I find that answer in the code?

Thanks

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
The same question applies with the tab intact-- power is fed to one outlet, and flows through the tab to the 2nd outlet...
Does the packaging of the outlet give any clues?
I was tempted to post the picture of the 'Fuse Replacement Guide,' but the range of values far exceeds the 20A you're dealing with.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you have a 20A duplex receptacle and you break the tab to allow for separate circuits, is EACH receptacle good for 20A (total of 40A) or are you limited to 20A in total.

That should be in the product listing, not the NEC.

I would answer the same as when someone asks if 200 amps "per leg" = 400 amps.

No. 20a @ 120v + 20a @ 120v = 20a @ 240v. Each receptacle is rated at 20a.

It would be the same thing as two single receptacles in a 2-gang box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Thanks
20 and 20. The duplex essentially becomes two single receptacles.

cppoly

20 and 20. The duplex essentially becomes two single receptacles.

So it is the equivalent of having two 20A single receptacles? Just making sure that having two 1,500 watt toasters plugged into this split receptacle won't be an issue.

Thanks!!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
So it is the equivalent of having two 20A single receptacles? Just making sure that having two 1,500 watt toasters plugged into this split receptacle won't be an issue.

Thanks!!
But don't forget the neutral is also rated at 20A max.
A common neutral require the two receptacles need to be on a multi-wire circuit. A receptacle with line and neutral tabs broken would truly be separate receptacles.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A common neutral require the two receptacles need to be on a multi-wire circuit. A receptacle with line and neutral tabs broken would truly be separate receptacles.
And regardless of which is chosen there would need to be either a 2 pole CB or a handle tie on two single pole CB's.

cppoly

And regardless of which is chosen there would need to be either a 2 pole CB or a handle tie on two single pole CB's.

If two 20A circuits are run in this case, let's say circuits #1,#3 and assuming that they have individual neutrals run, would a handle tie / 2P breaker still be required in this case?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That depends on the quality of the receptacle; I recommend the best grade you can find.

And, if you have the option and the space, you can actually use two singles in a 2g box.

That allows you to omit the handle-tie or two-pole breaker.