Breaker Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrossin

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Is It OK to duck tape circuit breakers in the on position?
Where In the code book my I find the answer.Thank you.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Breaker Panels

I would say look at 110.3(8) & 240.81. Your insurance underwriter may not like it either in that it could (unlikely though) hinder the breaker tripping.

The manufacturers of the equipment have listed breaker locks that will allow tripping and meet the requirements of 240.81

Roger

[ October 18, 2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

All breakers are required to be "trip-free" in operation. This means that no matter how you restrain the external operating handle, the breaker will still open the circuit under fault conditions. This requirement is in the UL standard.
Don

pierre

I will say that in the 30 years I have been in the construction industry, I believe I have seen every way duct tape can be used. The original designers of duct tape are either thrilled or turning over in their graves seeing this.
In the electrical industry, I think that duct tape is misused just as much as anywhere else.
When there are so many options today, to do the work correctly, I still see the use of duct tape as rampant.

When I retire, I see booze, funeral parlors and duct tape as three things we can guaranty to still be around. :D

Pierre

tomspark

Once in my early days I once did a service call for a T pole that was having problems. When I got there I saw that someone had wedged a 2X4 stud under the 15amp breaker and kicked the bottom into the dirt so it wouldn't trip. Parts were melting and dripping out the dead front but the breaker wasn't tripped! Been a while but I suspect it was a FPE....

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Parts were melting and dripping out the dead front but the breaker wasn't tripped! Been a while but I suspect it was a FPE....
If it was an FPE you wouldn't need the 2 x 4 :D

templdl

The only reason that I see for "duct tapping a breaker while it is the "ON" position is to make it difficult to turn OFF the breaker if the intent is that it be not turned "OFF." If I were to see a breaker taped as such I would question the intent before it was turned OFF. As far as a code violation? It has been previously stated that breakers are "trip free" and are designed to trip even if the handle is held in the "ON" position.
If the application was serious then there are mechanical Lock ON devices that are available for most devices which make it more difficult to defeat than removing tape.

dcrossin

Inactive, Email Never Verified

Thank you Gentleman,
The replies were great,I let some higher ups know this.The duck tape is no longer there.The breakers are free to trip.Once again thank you. Don

tshephard

I knew a girl in the 80's...
that had a tripping breaker, held in/on by of all things, an oval bic lighter in a metal case/jacket (remember those?)
Maybe the breaker was from the 50's, but the lighter kept it from tripping.

By the way, a show on discovery said duct tape is really duck tape, developed by the army to seal ammo boxes for WWII, from water intrusion "like a duck's back".

charlie

By the way, a show on discovery said duct tape is really duck tape, developed by the army to seal ammo boxes for WWII, from water intrusion "like a duck's back".
I really wonder about that statement. An ammo box has a rubber gasket around the top and the top clamps down so tight that an air tight seal has to be broken like a coffee can. If you have a .50 cal can and you have a high pressure day, you may need something to break the seal with. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.