Branch protection vs. rated current

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrantzombie

We are designing an industrial tool for a customer, it will be cord-and-plug connected. Typically it would be connected to 20A facility branch protection; however, in this case the customer would like it to connect to an existing locking cord-and-plug setup that is protected at 50A (they want to swap the cable periodically between this tool and another tool with a higher current requirement, but using the same power cord). Are there any special considerations I should make sure I am not overlooking when designing this? For example, the power input connector (specified by the customer) is rated for the higher current, and of course the wiring that we would use for the tool power input between the connector and the tool main internal breaker would also be selected based on the higher available current.

Are there other items I should be considering relative to components in the design?

mwm1752

Your responsibility for cord connect tools ends at the receptacle -- choosing to alter a listed product could take on unwanter liability. Owner tells me he wants 240v 50 amp twist lock recept I give it to him -- he tells me to alter equipment I tell him I am not an appliance repair man. Would you install a 50 amp range cord/cap on a 30 amp dryer & plug it into a 50 amp circuit?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Would you install a 50 amp range cord/cap on a 30 amp dryer & plug it into a 50 amp circuit?
If the dryer had internal OCPD I would.

It was not uncommon at one time in this area for an electric dryer circuit to be on a much larger circuit than was needed and there was a little fused box out at the dryer that had lower rated fuses than the circuit it was fed on. No idea why they used to do that.

mwm1752

If the dryer had internal OCPD I would.

It was not uncommon at one time in this area for an electric dryer circuit to be on a much larger circuit than was needed and there was a little fused box out at the dryer that had lower rated fuses than the circuit it was fed on. No idea why they used to do that.

Much easier to change the breaker & not undermine the listing of the product IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.