branch circuits and feeders in same gutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackchevy

I have a 480v panel feeding 2 208v panels thru 2 separate transformers the 208 panels are side by side and in a very tight spot, so the easiest thing for me to do is to put a 3'x8"x8" gutter above both of the panels. what i'm trying to do is run the 2 feeder conduits to the gutter and then in to the panels plus the branch circuits conduits to do the same so that i can just use it as a pull box but i'm not sure if i'm breaking any code rules.
hope somebody can take me in the right path.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Nothing in the NEC prohibits a feeder and branch circuit sharing a raceway.
Pay attention to 210.5 and, if applicable, to 200.6(D)

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
I have a 480v panel feeding 2 208v panels thru 2 separate transformers the 208 panels are side by side and in a very tight spot, so the easiest thing for me to do is to put a 3'x8"x8" gutter above both of the panels. what i'm trying to do is run the 2 feeder conduits to the gutter and then in to the panels plus the branch circuits conduits to do the same so that i can just use it as a pull box but i'm not sure if i'm breaking any code rules.
hope somebody can take me in the right path.
:thumbsup:
Sure you can install them in the same raceway, 24/7.....just not on Sundays and Federal Holidays...lol

kwired

Electron manager
Not prohibited however the derating required when mixing feeders with branch circuits can make it a poor choice.
If derating is required. 366.22(A) only requires ampacity adjustments if the number of current carrying conductors exceeds 30.

iwire

Staff member
If derating is required. 366.22(A) only requires ampacity adjustments if the number of current carrying conductors exceeds 30.

Of course, and if the raceways connecting it to the panel are less than 24" or less than 10% of the circuit length or .. or .. or .. etc.

But my comment still stands.

kwired

Electron manager
Of course, and if the raceways connecting it to the panel are less than 24" or less than 10% of the circuit length or .. or .. or .. etc.

But my comment still stands.
Just wanted OP to know what he may be up against, or point out that he may not have a deration issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.