Box Fill

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This reminds me of the CCC rules vs the conduit-fill rules:

Some are based on heat from wires carrying current, and some are based on them merely taking up space.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Sure so cut them off
To usefully do that for the purposes of 314.16(B)(1), you'd need to cut off the unused conductor so it never enters the box, even while the jacket of the 12/3 or 14/3 NM mentioned in the OP enters the box at least a 1/4". Which I guess is feasible to do if you snip the jacket and then repair it.

Cheers, Wayne

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Sure so cut them off otherwise they can be used.... That is my guess as to why it is counted.
But if they are inside of a cable whose sheath extends into the box, per code, aren't they still in the box?

I guess I am saying, trying to follow the exact wording of the code becomes problematic when picking nits.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
To usefully do that for the purposes of 314.16(B)(1), you'd need to cut off the unused conductor so it never enters the box, even while the jacket of the 12/3 or 14/3 NM mentioned in the OP enters the box at least a 1/4". Which I guess is feasible to do if you snip the jacket and then repair it.

Cheers, Wayne
But if they are inside of a cable whose sheath extends into the box, per code, aren't they still in the box?

I guess I am saying, trying to follow the exact wording of the code becomes problematic when picking nits.

Imo, you guys have crossed over to the inane. lol