box extension ring use

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyschaeffer

Our local inspector has disallowed the use of a 4" x 2 1/8" round box with a 1.5" extension ring in a stud wall to support a wall sconce. He claims it is not used "for the purpose". This is really no different than a plaster frame attached to a box. I have checked the manufacturers published info and find nothing about this. What do you think? :confused:

ccha9219

Re: box extension ring use

unless your fixture falls under 410-16(a) I don't know of any code that would prohibit the use of an extention ring to hang a fixture... as long as the screws in the box are at least 8/32

ccha9219

It's not up to us as electricians to choose a method that a particular inspector will except. if the insector can't prove to me it's against the nec I would not change it.
Depending on the cost involved it might be worth the agrument.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

ccha9219 look at 314 27 exception....Not more than 6 lbs. 6/32 are fine for wall sconces.

ccha9219

a.wayne...
8/32 is the only screw that will go int a square to round p ring. can't use a single gang device ring to support a fixture.
craig

drmoody

314.27(A) exception can't explain this any more clearly. For wall mounted fixtures <=6lb, they shall be permitted to be supported on other boxes or plaster rings that are attached to other boxes, provided the fixture is secured with no fewer than 2 no. 6 OR larger screws.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

I didn`t catch the square to round....Sorry.......
but 314 27 exc.does allow 6/32 screws to be used,2002 only

Status
Not open for further replies.