bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjdad82

:roll: when running emt and setting 4 square junction boxes are we required to bond the box when a joint is made in the box? i thought that we were but i am having a hard time finding it in the code. I am sure that i have had inspectors say yes.

physis

Re: bonding

No bonding required at each coupler, connector or box.

358.60 EMT shall be permitted as an equipment grounding conductor.

editted in required

[ October 14, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Look at 250.148. If you splice in the box or install a device in the box, you must bond the EGC to the box. Where the conductors are pulled through the box without a splice or termination, you are not required to bond the EGC to the box.
Don

physis

I can't find the code but if the device strap is in direct contact with the bonded surface of the box or cover it's also not necessary to use an EGC to the device. ;)

izak

you ALWAYS have to bring a EGC to the device because the device must be able to remain grounded when you take it out of the box

artcle 406.3 (C)

iwire

Staff member

Check out 250.146(B)

250.146(B) Contact Devices or Yokes. Contact devices or yokes designed and listed for the purpose shall be permitted in conjunction with the supporting screws to establish the grounding circuit between the device yoke and flush-type boxes.

izak

Originally posted by iwire:
Check out 250.146(B)

250.146(B) Contact Devices or Yokes. Contact devices or yokes designed and listed for the purpose shall be permitted in conjunction with the supporting screws to establish the grounding circuit between the device yoke and flush-type boxes.
in your opinion, does that supercede 406.3 that deals specifically with receptacles?

izak

Originally posted by hurk27:
By Don: If you splice in the box or install a device in the box, you must bond the EGC to the box
EMT is the EGC! and it is allowed to bond the box.

:confused: :confused:
i think what they are saying is IF you run an EGC IN the EMT, THEN you must bond it to the box when you splice or install a device..

hurk27

And what code section would require this?
When 358.60 allows the EMT to be the EGC.
And if the box is already grounded by the EMT the NEC does not require it to be grounded a second time. Running a separate grounding conductor is above and beyond what the code requires and is a design issue which is not unenforceable. Even when an Isolated grounding conductor is ran it is allowed to run through all connecting box's with out connecting to any box's.
If you read 250.148 and look close at the wording you will notice the word "OR" Between each connection method that is allowed.
Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, any separate equipment grounding conductors associated with those circuit conductors "shall be spliced" or "joined within the box" or "to the box with devices suitable for the use".
This is only describing how to make a connection between more that one EGC. and or one EGC to a grounded box. Or to a non-grounded box that was fed by an non grounded race-way method I.E. PVC conduit, NM, FMC.
This is to only make sure that the grounding path is not interrupted.
Like I said before I do not see this as a requirement to bond a box again when it is already bonded by the EMT. Which was not what the originally post asked. It asked if you had to bond a J-box if EMT was used is it required to bond the box again?.

waymur

Can`t say I agree with the NEC on this particular
instance, I believe that if you put a box in a run it should be bonded, even though it may be at the time only a pull box. Later on down the line it may get a run out of that particular box, but everything is pulled through. Now you have to remedy that, when if you had only installed the pigtail in the box. What is the big deal, wire nut, pigtail, and a little extra wire.
Have done alot of jobs that are speced that way, and its really not all that much more to deal with.EMT sscr couplings, connectors come loose or are not tightened enough or to much and the manufacturer, cause there`s alot of crap out there,ul listed or not just don`t get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.