bonding of optional standby generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

sksunseri

I have just recently installed a optional standby generator for my parents. I installed an Reliance mannual transfer switch in which the neutral is solidly connected into the service panel neutral buss,and is not switched. The generator is a Briggs and Stratten 10Hp 5500w with 30A 120/240V twistlock plug. In the generator the EGC and neutral are bonded together. I know that if you have SDS that the neutral is to be bonded to the case and that you are to connect to the system grounding electrode.However my parents system is the solidly connected neutral. I attempted to remove the bond wire between the EGC and the neutral and when I did I plug the 10/4 cord into the generator and checked with voltage testers between one of the hot leads and EGC and got no voltage drop. I'm concerned because it seems to have lost its ground. What can be done? Or am I going to get my ground as soon as I plug in the generator cord to the mannual transfer switch?

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: bonding of optional standby generator

You should get it back when connected. When you broke the connection, you lost your reference point. Once connected to the TS you will re-establish the reference.

[ October 03, 2004, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

ron

You are correct in that you need to disconnect the n-g connection in the gen. Your description leads me to believe you did it improperly. Put it back and look through the wiring diagram. Many of the small gens have a short #12 AWG wire connecting the neutral and ground on one of the receptacles.

BTW, I like the Reliance panel, I have one at my home too :)

[ October 04, 2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: ron ]

rick5280

I'm a little confused. I can find no requirement for removing anything "in that you need to disconnect the n-g connection in the gen".

I don't get the statement "attempted to remove the bond wire between the EGC and the neutral and when I did I plug the 10/4 cord into the generator and checked with voltage testers between one of the hot leads and EGC and got no voltage drop."

For an optional standby system, look at Article 702 (2002 NEC). Ground the portable generator to the system grounding conductor via the EGC. Use a transfer switch. Post required signs.

Rick Miell

ron

Rick,
Checkout 250.34(C).

Since you don't switch the grounded conductor (neutral) at the transfer switch, you do not have a separately derived system.

sksunseri

In reguards to all who gave their assistance with the grounding problem with my parents optional standby generator. Thanks Alot!!!! The electrical inspector came today and passed the installation and I have removed the jumper wire from between the EGC and the neutral wire on the generator recptacle. Thanks much gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!

rhn

I know I am about 20 days late on this topic.
sksunseri you are right to be in compliance with 250.6 (A) you must remove the bonding jumper in the generator. but what conserns me is what happens when someone uses this portable generator as a portable generator insted of connecting it to the transfer switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.