Bonding of flexible metal conduit or Liquidtight flexibl

Status
Not open for further replies.
When connecting conduits to a generator set we always use short lengths (2 to 3 ft) of either flexible metal conduit or liquidtight flexible metal conduit at the generator set for vibration. Conduit sizes go up to 4 inch. For the generator output conduits we always install an ACEG conductor in each conduit.

The flexible conduit is not a listed grounding path in this application. Is it worth the additional cost to install fittings with a grounding lug on each end of the flexible conduit and then install an external bonding jumper around the flexible conduit?

The generator set voltage could be 120/240V,1 ph,4w; 120/208V,3ph,4w or 277/480V 3ph, 4w.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or recommendations on this.

Sincerely,

Dave Brant

ryan_618

Re: Bonding of flexible metal conduit or Liquidtight flexibl

Originally posted by brantdavid:
When connecting conduits to a generator set we always use short lengths (2 to 3 ft) of either flexible metal conduit or liquidtight flexible metal conduit at the generator set for vibration. Conduit sizes go up to 4 inch. For the generator output conduits we always install an ACEG conductor in each conduit.

What is an ACEG?

The flexible conduit is not a listed grounding path in this application. Is it worth the additional cost to install fittings with a grounding lug on each end of the flexible conduit and then install an external bonding jumper around the flexible conduit?
I would think it would be easier and more cost efficient to install an internal equipment grounding conductor, if that is not what you are already doing. Again, I don't know what an "ACEG" is.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Bonding of flexible metal conduit or Liquidtight flexibl

you may find that it is simpler to bond the genset by using external bonding wires run along the outside of the flex.

I have seen a fair number of these things that do not actually have a ground lug in them to connect a ground wire coming in through the flex.

[ July 03, 2005, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

Status
Not open for further replies.