bonding of bottled-gas metal piping

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin's house out on the prairie is having some problems:
Atleast a few times now, during electrical storms, electrical popping/arcing sounds are heard at livingroom fireplace.
I am just wondering if the metal flue which naturally extends all the way up the chimney, and that is bonded to the metal gas piping is somehow acting as a lightning rod.
The metallic gas piping extends out the house in direct contact with the earth, buried two feet deep, for at least 20 feet or more out to the propane tank.
Is it possible that the chimney and related metallic gas piping is acting as a lightning rod?
If so, what if any electrical bonding could possibly be employed in this case for person and property damage control?

400Amp 120/240V 1PH system;
Two ground rods are the only grounding electrode used for the system;
No metallic water pipe supply to the house;
All electric appliances in the house;
BottledGas tank and supply metallic plumbing not presently bonded at any point to electrical system.

Thank you for your input please.

bphgravity

Re: bonding of bottled-gas metal piping

I would seriously doubt that the phenomenon you are experiencing is from lightning. Lightning is not exactly a continuing event that periodically occurs over time. It is usually a grand and single event.

Is there possibly an electrical circuit for an ignitor or other component that may be energizing the metal parts and by coincidence shows up during a storm?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Even if this is lightning related, you couldn't ask for a better grounding system than what it's already connected to.

-Hal

hurk27

Not always as LP lines are ran bare copper with flare ends or steel. But natural gas should always be black pipe, even though I have seen copper ran for it. But aluminum should never be used for natural gas as the additive they use to make natural gas smell has a bit of a low PH (alkaline) and will over time eat through the aluminum pipe. :eek: I have seen them use coated, where steal black pipe was used, but not often.

Status
Not open for further replies.