bonding hydromassage tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

spider2

I recently wired a home with a hydromassage tub. Got a call from the general that the tub needs bonding. All the piping is plastic so I thought it wasn't required, read 680.74 and then called the inspector. He told me he want a #8 from the motor lug to the EGC at the GFI. Told him it is already bonded by being plugged in to that GFI. He talked to the chief electrical inspector and 2 other electricians and they all agreed with him. Who's right? We are on the 99 NEC if it makes any difference. I only have 02 and 05 books here so I can't check that year.

luke warmwater

Re: bonding hydromassage tub

I don't have time right now to look it up, but there was a past post that stated an inspector wanted a water-line clamp on the plastic pipe to bond the tub :eek:
I'll try to find it in a while, maybe someone else will chime in by then.

bphgravity

I believe you are correct.

When installing and connecting electrical equipment assoicated with pools, spas and the like, you have two separate bonding needs.

The first bonding need is for ground faults. The job of carrying this fault current is the EGC installed with the circuit conductors. The second bonding need is for eliminating voltage gradients.

The request of the inspector serves no purpose other than providing a parallel path of fault current to the receptacle EGC. It will not do anything in establishing an equipotential contact area.

electricmanscott

As Brian pointed out you are correct. The inspector is confused. The point is not to "bond" the motor. The point is to bond all associated metallic parts together with the motor. Since you have no metallic parts you do not have anything to bond together.

luke warmwater

The following is not the one about bonding the plastic line, but it is very informative to your question.

BTW, I agree with Bryan and Scott.

Link to Tub Bonding Post

Edit: add link, duh.

[ May 14, 2005, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: luke warmwater ]

mdshunk

I wish there was some way to send an A.P.B. to all inspectors to get some of these pesky misconceptions sorted once and for all. I've had a couple want the bond wire run the whole way back to the panel ground buss. Another wanted a metal towel bar near the tub bonded??. How do you maintain your professional candor in the face of such silliness? I haven't had any requests like the situation you have there, but it's just as silly.

pierre

MDShunk
"I wish there was some way to send an A.P.B. to all inspectors to get some of these pesky misconceptions sorted once and for all."

That would be a great idea, except for one item...it would require cutting down a lot of trees ;)

speedypetey

I am in complete agreement.
I really wonder who taught these inspectors how to inspect? And who taught the teachers?
On top of this, this inspector went to higher ups and peers and got answers in agreement. Makes you wonder if he even asked anyone. I truly think it is sometimes is a case of an inspector having too big an ego to admit a mistake in interpretation.

Bond plastic pipe??? :roll: :roll:

spider2

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I'm not the crazy one. The inspector is actually a good guy but does need some educating. I was surprised when he told me his boss agreed with him but thought maybe they knew something I didn't.

ryan_618

I'll be honest with you though, travelling around teaching classes, I have found that this section is viewed differently by different inspectors all over the place, not just your inspector. I'm not sure why that is, but it is! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.