Bonding around water meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

allpro

Art.250.52(A)1 Suggested that all insulating joints must be bonded around. However, is it required to bond around a Pressure Reducing Valve that is within 5 feet of entering the building IF the copper water line only extends 2 feet outside the building? Pressure Reducing Valve has a union nut but no gasket!

bphgravity

Re: Bonding around water meter

If the metallic portion of the water line only extends 2 feet outside, then it can't be used as a grounding electrode. The interior metallic portion will still have to be bonded in accordance with 250.104(A).

allpro

Thanks....however I believe that section only applies to the bonding of the water pipe system in general with in the structure. What is the purpose of bonding around a valve that is NOT used as a portion of the Grounding Electrode? This is Bonding not Grounding. Am I Wrong?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by allpro:
What is the purpose of bonding around a valve that is NOT used as a portion of the Grounding Electrode?
Safety for anyone that removes the valve.

allpro

Appreciate the input... That is my Question!!
If the water line from the meter thru the wall is only 4 or 5 feet total, What is the use?
If the water line went into the earth 10 feet than I can see BONDING around the meter.
Is there a CODE section that is specific to Bonding meters, valves etc.????

hurk27

Allpro you have two requirements here, and each has to be addressed by what each is for and follow each path of current for each requirement.

250.50 requires us to use all electrodes that are present and available.
250.52 requires us to use the water pipe as an electrode if it has 10' or more in contact with Earth, but also says if we make a connection to it (because it is 10' or longer) and there is any insulating joints between where you connected to it and the Earth you must bond around them.
This is to make sure there is no broken path that would cause the current not to flow in the event of a lightning strike or primary to secondary short.
The next requirement is found in 250.104 which requires us to bond the water pipe for ground faults and if a insulating joint or meter is in the water pipe path, any where between the bonding connection and the farthest point away from the service on the water line, it has to be bonded around to meet the requirements in 250.4

So where the water line is not being used as a grounding electrode it still has to meet the bonding requirements so that there is a fault path back to the service from anywhere along the path of the water line.

allpro

Wayne A. Thanks... I agree with you on the code
sections and your explanation. The bottom line is, this water line is not being used as an electrode and the meter is only 4 to 5 feet from the end of conductive water line. Even if you remove the water meter there is nothing that can
energise the 4 foot section. Meter still needs to be bonded? I guess i have a hard time understanding that....

hurk27

I agree with you also as I can't see a short piece of pipe as "could likely become energized"

But in many areas it's how a AHJ could interpit it and it is in the code. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.