Bending RGS ..Again

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Diffirent scenario....

If you had 2" RMC in a trench something like below would you bend or use prefab elbows. I understand you may still need a bender for kicks/offsets although the line drawn..lol(maybe not actual) look pretty straight.

1713291437259.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Diffirent scenario....

If you had 2" RMC in a trench something like below would you bend or use prefab elbows. I understand you may still need a bender for kicks/offsets although the line drawn..lol(maybe not actual) look pretty straight.

View attachment 2571183
I would order a couple of cases of various degree elbows. Just remember that by saving a bend you often have to cut and thread a nipple.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Can someone help me with the most common situations when you may need to cut and thread RGS.

Obviously any point you need to cut the conduit to attach something....bushing, locknuts, coupling etc.?

1. Entering an enclosure
2. Prefab elbow
3. Conduit body.

Is this correct?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can someone help me with the most common situations when you may need to cut and thread RGS.

Obviously any point you need to cut the conduit to attach something....bushing, locknuts, coupling etc.?

1. Entering an enclosure
2. Prefab elbow
3. Conduit body.

Is this correct?
add length adjustment (10 stick too long)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I actually prefer using factory elbows and the like when the installation allows. I find it to be easy to design, faster to install, and usually looks good with matching angles.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
I actually prefer using factory elbows and the like when the installation allows. I find it to be easy to design, faster to install, and usually looks good with matching angles.
"If" you get the same brand and if they are turned the right way... Some prefabs (2"+) can have different dimensions from stub in to stub out... And different thread depths. Not always but i have seen it.

A hogs head will cure any rigid job problems anyway... They are cheap- here anyway...
I keep on hearing $20,000+ for camtracks so maybe we are in a geographical oddity here in phx...
Be warned... Threading big pipe is not for your 140lb shop guy, unless he knows the tricks :)

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
I have manually cut, threaded, and reamed plenty of 2" over the years. I won't do it now.
I believe it... Years of 2.5 to 4", i dont miss it much. But i got stupid quick w/the small threads.
You sorta cant rush the big stuff... All you can do is not destroy the hog threader...