Battery Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
What code or codes would cover requirements for battery rooms or large UPS's? Does anything require a fire or smoke rated partition between a UPS and a office space?

Steve

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: Battery Rooms

Article 480 covers most requirments. Do you have a specific question in mind?

brian john

For electrical requirements yes, but there are other codes for fire rating, spill containment, local codes vary. Not much different than any other installation. Depends on your involvement and responsibility in the overall project.

hbendillo

Make sure you address ventilation and temperature issues. The room where you keep your batteries should be maintained at 78 degrees max with moderately low humidity. Higher or lower temperatures can seriously reduce battery life.

G

Does low temperature actually reduce the life of a battery, or does cold only lower its effectiveness?

I know the effects of heat on battery life.

I am not up on the effects of cold as far as battery life. Does cold have a long term effect on the actual chemistry of the battery, or can it recover?

I am certain that freezing a battery would damage it long term.

I am speaking of lead/acid batteries. Lithium Ion would be a different animal.

G

As for NEC citations look at:
110.3, 480.3, 480.8, 480.9, 690.71, 690.74, 702.6, 702.8

That's the nickel tour.

If you end up going with a Fuel Cell check out the NEC citations in 692.

brian john

A lead acid battery is designed to provide optimum performance at 77 degrees F.

For every 3 degrees below 77F you lose some capacity, for every 3 degrees over 77f you gain capacity but shorten the battery life.

For warranty the manufacture will want to see documentation of this temperature typically per cell temperatures are recorded as part of regular maintenance.

All manufactures will supply this literature with the cells and online additionally check out IEEE 450.

dereckbc

Staff member

Brian that is correct. I would like to point out that the tempurture is the cell temp, not a room temp.

The other problem you can run into with waranty on cell temps is the recording. Is it done daily, weekly, monthly, or what? Most companies do not have a rigorous PM schedule or enough buying power to influence battery manufactures. Unless you have a recording device to monitor a pilot cell temp and record them on at least a daily basis, you will never be able to prove anything.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Thanks for all the replies.

Brian John said:

For electrical requirements yes, but there are other codes for fire rating, spill containment, local codes vary.
That's what I thought, but I haven't found anything that requires any of the above.

Steve

j7david

Try Uniform Fire Code (UFC) 6404.1 through 6404.9, National Building Code (BOCA)307.8,307.8.13, 417.0, 417.4,417.5.5 National fire code (BOCA)2315.1, 2315.2, 2802.2.1Standard Building Code (SBCCI)407.1.1.1, 407.2, 407.2.3. Standard Fire Code (SBCCI)2201.1.2.11, 2203.1.11, 2203.1.24, 2203.13.12, 2203.13.1.1.3 National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)1 35-1, 35-2.1, 35-2.2, 35-3, 35-3.2, 35-3.3, 35-3.4, 35-3.5, 35-3.6, 35-3.7, 35-3.8, 35-3.9 And this stuff goes on and on. In reality most of the stuff about batteries is found in fire codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.