Bathroom over Service Panel Located in Basement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you install a bathroom if the service panel is located in the basement beneath it?

I have a house that was built in 1940 & a second bath has been added in a bedroom, which is located over the service panel which is in the basement below. I am considering removing the shower & adding a whirlpool/shower combo & want to know if this would meet today's code.

websparky

Re: Bathroom over Service Panel Located in Basement

Please check 110;

110.26(F)(1)(b)
Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated space required by 110.26(F)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain foreign systems, provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

bill addiss

Todd,

I've got a visual for this one.
The picture below was taken during a Kitchen renovation when the walls were opened up. It shows the Bathtub drain is directly over the Panelboard in what is now another Bathroom.

The Bathroom below (where the Panel is) is new, but the Homeowner said all the houses in this area were built like this with the Tub directly above the Panel.

PanelunderTub.jpg

bill addiss

(oops! forgot to mention above)

I don't know if this is your situation (pictured above) but this doesn't seem like a good idea.

Bill

websparky

Ryan,

No, not if there were holes for the plumbing pipes and such.

I agree with Pierre and especially (b), where some extra precaution should be installed to protect the eq., like a piece plastic to divert any water.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Water and a metal P trap,corrosion.This must be one of those areas that dont inspect.

bill addiss

Pierre,

FWIW, the pipes are directly over the panel in this photo, and I think this panel was already changed once.

BTW, Todd sent me a pm telling me that this is almost identical to his situation. He didn't mention what he decided to do though.

Bill

[ May 10, 2004, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: bill addiss ]

Bill,

I am waiting for a final decision for my local inspector. It looks like he is leaning toward approving this, as long as I protect the floor beneath the tub with some type of "drain" that would direct an overflow away from the panel.

Thanks,
Todd

bill addiss

Todd,

Thanks for the additional info on this. I think there's no question that it's in your best interest to do what you can to prevent water from coming in the panel.

Let us know what happens.
Thanks,

Bill

ed downey

I Have Question That Is Somewhat Along The Same Line As Todd's. Does The International Electrical Code Have The Same Provision As 110.26(f). The Reason I Ask Is That I Have A New House And There Is A Drain Pipe Stubbed Through The Floor Over The Service Entrance Panel. The City Of Shawnee Uses The International Electrical Code And I Have Not Purchased It Since All Of The Work I Do Deals With The NEC.
-Ed

websparky

Hi Ed,

The ICC says this:
SECTION 1201
GENERAL
1201.1 Scope. This chapter governs the design and construction of electrical systems and equipment.
1201.1.1 Adoption. Electrical systems and equipment shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the International
Residential Code or NFPA70 as applicable, except as otherwise provided in this code.
Basically, it backs the NEC and adds some exclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.