Bad Manufacturing Process???

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Another example is electric water heaters that anymore usually have a label over the wiring compartment cable/conduit entry that warns you to not energize with no water in the tank.
What is wrong with that? I bet you a crap load of electric water heaters failed due to no water before being energized.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
We sometimes put big tags on equipment to point out things that are important that people who refuse to read the instructions might miss.
MCCs come with explicit instructions telling people to connect the bus bars between shipping splits using the provided bus splice kits. I can’t tell you how many times I have seen people use short cables to connect them (always too small) or just fail to connect them, then get angry that “the MCC is defective”…

But the factory INSTALLING something that is needed for operation, but INSTRUCTING YOU to remove it, then (ostensibly) re-install it again? That’s ridiculous IMHO.

TheGingerElectrician

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor, TN
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My mistake it's made in Finla

Another example is electric water heaters that anymore usually have a label over the wiring compartment cable/conduit entry that warns you to not energize with no water in the tank.
Exactly, nothing of the sort with this machine. Thankfully the manufacturer uppers were kind enough to send a new one free of charge and agree with me that it needs a warning label at minimum.