Back feeding a breaker without a main breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carultch

Yes there is an 800amp disconnect before this panel. However I was told by one of my AHJ that because the disconnect is not in the panel with the breakers the breaker panel becomes a sub panel. With that being said I cannot combine neutrals and grounds together. And if I was to back feed a breaker that would be my first means of disconnect for my PV installation and would need to have the ground and neutral bonded. Do you see a way around this? This is why I thought the easiest solution would be to take out the 800amp disco. By the way the reason I can't do a line side tap on the disco is because the utility meter is after the disco ( cold sequence).

That's correct. Neutral and ground remain insulated, except where otherwise required by the NEC.

In your case, the neutral and ground get bonded at the 800A main service disconnect. They get bonded NOWHERE ELSE.

There is no requirement to bond any PV system equipment's neutral and ground, except where this is internally done inside the inverter. And this is done in a special way, with the ground fault fuse on the DC side.

Your interconnection should be per 705.12, with the fuses in the main disconnect counting as the overcurrent device protecting the main supply. Those fuses plus your PV system breaker, are limited to 120% of 800A.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Your interconnection should be per 705.12, with the fuses in the main disconnect counting as the overcurrent device protecting the main supply.

Maybe this is a minor point, but the OCPD at the interconnection point on a PV system is not there to protect the main supply from the inverter(s). In a properly designed system the inverter(s) is/are incapable of sourcing enough current to endanger the conductors or the service, and in the event of a fault it/they will shut down. The OCPD is there to protect the conductors from fault current coming from the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.