Audio Hmm from AC lines what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking at getting a rotory isolation gen set and power this up with 240 and putting a small panel on the gen side to feed the audio equipment and I hope this should clean it all up! I have to first see the price of these little babies. I wired up a 277/480 480kva Piller Gen set UPS for a large studio and this made me think of seeing if they have small ones. So I found some smaller units and I am getting the prices on them now.

If this does not work then I might have to figure out tracing out the house problem and handing whatever is making the noise.

Ahh what a pain in the ....

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Im looking at getting a rotory isolation gen set and power this up with 240 and putting a small panel on the gen side to feed the audio equipment and I hope this should clean it all up! I have to first see the price of these little babies. I wired up a 277/480 480kva Piller Gen set UPS for a large studio and this made me think of seeing if they have small ones. So I found some smaller units and I am getting the prices on them now.

If this does not work then I might have to figure out tracing out the house problem and handing whatever is making the noise.

Ahh what a pain in the ....

If you take the time to read the two papers linked in Speedskater's post, you will see that trying to treat the problem at the power (source) end is usually the least productive thing to do in the long term. However, if done right at the point where all of the power and ground connections to the equipment involved come together, it will have the greatest opportunity for improvement.
You may be using a sledgehammer, but if you have too little time to find the real (signal end) problem, you are at least putting your sledgehammer in the right place.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
I have not read all posts and am not sure if EMI is the cause of the hum but regardless I think
the attached reports are required reading on the subject:

Attachments

• EMI Net Current wiring protocol.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
  • EMI Guide 29page.pdf
    113.6 KB · Views: 0
  • EMI Computer Jitter.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 0

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
Files

File Type: pdf EMI Net Current wiring protocol.pdf‎ (21.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf EMI Guide 29page.pdf‎ (113.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: doc EMI Computer Jitter.doc‎ (51.5 KB, 6 views)

Now that is some strange stuff! Not that it's incorrect, it's just from a very different viewpoint. Solving magnetic fields with room size shields! Anyone doing that needs lots and lots of money.

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
Stringer, I'm having a hard time visualizing your primary wiring. Just how does the primary wiring get from the POCO to the panel boards and then to the buildings? How much power does the studio building need? Any water pipes (or the such) from building to building? Any 3 phase near by?

Status
Not open for further replies.