Attracting personnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

Being an electrical contractor engaged in primarily old work, I have always had much more of it than the company can handle. It has been a constant struggle attracting qualified electricians. My local labor market may be unusual, in that there seems to be no unemployed electricians. Additionally, there is no statewide licensing by which the skill of any potential candidate can be measured. The interview process can generally sort out a qualified person from a semi-qualified one, but I'm having trouble getting candidates in the first place. Listings with the local unemployment office and newspaper ads have had terrible results. The pay and benefits are above average for my area. Are there any tricks to attracting personnel in an area that seems to have none available? Some seemingly good candidates only seem to want to work on new houses, which we don't do so much of (we are generally one of the high bidders). I can't seem to effectively relate that getting dirty in an old house will translate into better pay, but that's another issue. I just wish I could get the phone to ring as much with personnel calls as I do sales calls.

bphgravity

Re: Attracting personnel

Offer sign-on bonuses or other incentives such as profit sharing programs. A local contractor here gives a free pair of Red Wing boots and gift certificates to Home Depot for new employees that make it 90 days without an injury. You have to be creative in these today.

shelco

Radio ads are real good but kind of expensive. You get the guys listening while they are on the job or in the truck. Also if you have a good relationship with the supply houses place an ad in their window or bulletin board.
You asways want people that are already employed. However you need to give them a reason to switch. Some times it is just timing.

charlie

Bryan and Shelco both have great ideas but you also have to keep them after you have them. IMO the best thing in your toolkit to keep employees is to communicate. Let them know that they are important and that their ideas are listened to and, in some cases, implemented. Reward good work with like rewards. For instance, if it looks like you have been saved a few hundred bucks, a gift certificate for $50 to $100 would be appropriate. If the savings is $1000, a $500 savings bond would be appropriate.

Once in a while, have a gripe session with no retribution and really listen. Respect your workers, they are as important as your customers. :D

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

One of the problems you have is that unless you know their work, or know someone you trsust that knows their work, it's quite possible to get a new guy that just won't fit the bill.

I suggest that as part of your screening process you have some skill tests that reflect some of the things you run across daily. If they can't complete these skill tests, or refuse to take them, find someone else.

After you hire them, treating them "right" is the most important thing. Money and other material rewards are nice, but genuine respect and appreciation go a lot farther than mere money.

Something that is a lot tougher is good supervision. Believe it or not, people expect that their superiors will care enough about what they are doing to properly supervise them. If you don't, they will eventually come to beleive you don't care, and will get sloppy. Make sure you are around enough that the guys feel comfortable that you know what they are doing and why, and that you concur with what and how they are doing things.

mdshunk

I appreciate those suggestions so far. I will certainly have to look into radio, as the thought never crossed my mind. I'm not so sure if a sign-on bonus would entice anyone or not, but I'll give that a go too. That's certainly getting popular among empolyers of all types. I will admit that a pair of boots sounds hokey, since I guy can make that much in half a day of rgular pay and buy his own. I'll have to brainstorm for some other idea for a sign-on bonus. Cash is always nice, no matter who you are, but they tax the daylights out of bonus pay.

apauling

liberal tool accounts at the parts houses. some guys like the newest tools.

mdshunk

Originally posted by apauling:
liberal tool accounts at the parts houses. some guys like the newest tools.
Now...that's a fine idea. I'm a gadget guy myself, but how would I advertise that fact? I'm all for that idea, but I'm looking to get canidates in the door. I'm certain after I had a guy sitting in front of me, he'd like that idea too. I'm a little scared that using that idea as a hook might draw in guys that want some new stuff, and then they'd fly the coop. How would such a program operate; or how does a program like this operate? XX amount of tool credit per hours worked? Flat XX dollars per week/month? XX amount at every January 1st? Bear in mind that my trouble is not employee retention. It's employee "getting in the first place".

[ May 09, 2005, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

bphgravity

Originally posted by ryan_618:
When you look like I do, you don't have to worry about attracting anyone :D
I don't know... isn't this a photo at beauty pageant... or are these Halloween costumes?... :D Just kidding Mike, Ryan, Charlie, Tom, and the other guy!

[ May 09, 2005, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: bphgravity ]

charlie

Bryan, the other guy (on the left in front) is Kirk Schirra. Behind Kirk in the bright pink shirt is our own Ryan Jackson. Next is Mike Holt, then in front is me, and last on the right in back is the train man - Tom Baker. :D

bigjohn67

Great appriciation gift:

The new fluke 656- LVD1 Led Flashlight/tester.

Fits in pocket and the Led Flashlight works great.

They cost about $20

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I gave one of the Fluke LED tester to Mike Holt last fall. The only disadvantage is its not for over 300V. I carry the LED tester in one pocket and the volt stick in the other.
The Fluke LED tester was invented by an electrician who lives on Bainbridge Island. The wholesale houses can't keep them in stock

coppertreeelectric

I carry the LED tester in one pocket and the volt stick in the other.
What is the difference between the LED tester and a "volt stick?"

I always carry a GREENLEE GT-11 Voltage Detector in my side pocket, its rated for 50-1000V AC. Are we talking about the same thing?

I don't think I could live without that wonderful invention. And yes, I always test it on a known live ckt first.

Steve

mulllet

I like the santronics testers.There is no switch to malfunction and no metal parts on the outside.
And they are very tuff.I have found many appliances,stove hoods laundry equipment ect. improperly wired or with a problem useing this tool.Its the one osha uses.
http://www.santronicsinc.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.