Attic service outlet and switch combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jibber

Question! Can I install in an attic space (standard 4/12 trusses)a combo service outlet and lighting switch in a single box as long as I'm within 6' from the access? :)

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Re: Attic service outlet and switch combo

Ryan doesn`t it say readily accessable from the most common point of entry ???Not on my computer so I don`t have cd rom here.But why the receptacle?Although convienent if there is no mechanical equiptment there it is not required by the NEC.Maybe local addendums apply?

ryan_618

I agree that the switch must be at the point of entrance, but I was just wondering about the 6' measurement. As far as the receptacle goes, I'm thinking there may be a furnace in the attic and therefore 210.63 would apply.

pierre

Jibber mentions an attic with 'trusses'. Don't trusses have to be specifically designed to carry a load in order to use that space for storage or equipment? If yes, than a light and receptacle are not required.

Pierre

jibber

Ryan, Thanks. I don't where I got the 6' from. I thought it was in the UBC code. But you guys answered my question......... Can I use an open porcelain light fixture for the attic (the cheapy kind)?

ryan_618

Originally posted by pierre:
Jibber mentions an attic with 'trusses'. Don't trusses have to be specifically designed to carry a load in order to use that space for storage or equipment? If yes, than a light and receptacle are not required.

Pierre
Hi Pierre. You bring up an excellent point. When I do a four way inspection and see a furnace in an attic, I add about 6 items to the list, automatically...the additional load imposed on the trusses is one of them.

jibber

Pierre, Thanks for the post. Your absolutely right about truss load design for anything to be stored on top of them. In my case, the lights and outlet is just a convenience in case of service or additional work in the attic. The house is my own and didn't want to mess with extension cords and drop lights. :)

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Pierre if it has an acess panel it can be used as a storage area.That`s the point of having a light.Our AHJ`S say if you can put a shoe box there it is a storage area.But after looking at this post.I wonder why we hwve been using a keyless a box a switch and plate when we can use a porcelien pull...I thought they were a done item.210 70 3 says no :confused:

ryan_618

I think calling every attic a storage space is a big stretch. If the trusses are designed to accomodate storage I can see it, otherwise you can't call it a storage area.

tonyi

210.70 3 says: ...lighting outlet (pull chain lampholder is OK so far) containing a switch... (the pull chain mechanism *IS* a "Switch").

Note that it only says "switch" - NOT "snap switch" in this sentence. So the pull chain light is indeed good enough. The variations on "switch" are many. The code is usually quite specific when it wants a particular type versus anything meeting the generic definition.

So you could do a pull chain holder with a builtin receptical and probably meet the minimums in most places if there was some servicable unit up there requiring a receptical.

jibber

Wayne, something happened to my last post, It simply disappeared. I'll try again. :)

ronson

jibber, i've been installing porcelain keyless fixtures in attics that are snap switched from switches on the wall of the garage. how many times have you climbed down out of attic & forgot to turn off lights? i do not like dragging an extension cord through attics. cord will hang up on whatever. i haven't gone up into attic without a flashlight for some time now. but it ain't nice when batteries go dead & you are at darkest end of attic & have to try to get out walking across joists.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Ryan the reasoning they are using,is that although it may not br designed for storage.It can be used for storage and therefore require a light.My comment about the pull chain is that last year we did 2,000 homes and this year we project that we will do almost 3,000 homes.Thats alot of $$$$ in switches,plates and boxes.For a light that might not ever be used. :eek:

big john

I'm just trying to understand this situation as far as "intended for storage":

When you guys talk about trusses are you refering to the pre-assembled A-frames that serve as both the support for the roof as well as support for the ceiling of the living-space below the attic?

In houses where the roof is constructed independently of the living-space below, aren't "joists" the framing members that support the attic floor and that attic is always suitable for storage?

Thanks.

-John

[ March 07, 2004, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: big john ]

ryan_618

Originally posted by big john:

In houses where the roof is constructed independently of the living-space below, aren't "joists" the framing members that support the attic floor and that attic is always suitable for storage?

Thanks.

-John
It would depend on the design. The spans and on-center spacing for a ceilinng joist are much less stringent than for floor joists. They are designed to hold sheetrock, no more no less. If the design was such that it met the criteria for floor joists, I guess you could call it storage, but, IMO, it is a stretch.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

I would agree if they were free standing trusses(not requiring bearing walls).But there allot of large areas in these homes with bearing walls People just go to the big orange,they even sell boards called attic flooring.So back to the light !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.