ATTIC LIGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwalker

Re: ATTIC LIGHT

Thanks.We were tagged today over this.The situation was that we have a dog house in the attic for the air handlers and water heater.This is a drywalled area of the attic for fire reasons.We do have a switch for a light .However off of this same dog house is an opening to gain access to the rest of the attic that has no storage or equipment other than flex duct and some electrical junction boxes.The inspector says we must have a switch and light for that part of attic as well. 210.70 a doeesn't apply because this is an office.I do seem to fall under C
but it is not clear as to what AT THE USUAL POINT OF ENTRY exactly means.Does this mean a swith within a few inches or could it be a few feet away ? How far is to far.There is no wall closer than 10 feet to mount a switch.Does anyone see any way he can request a light in the rest of attic ?

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

A light cannot be required if there is no equipment requiring service. It seems to me you have already met that requirement.

jimwalker

Thanks to everyone ,now i have enough to dispute this with him. Only muddy part left is the At the point of access now.That could well be inside the dog house or just inside it and then we deal with how far away.Think that part is a ahj issue.Its not holding our job up he just wants to see it at final.

pierre

Jim
Based on your post, it sounds like you have a legitimate reason not to require a lighting outlet or switch in the second part of the attic.
What I would mention to the inspector is that there is no flooring in that section of the attic, therefore they will not use it for storage.
Let us know what the result is. 210.70(C)

Pierre

jimwalker

His wording was poor and my boss took it right to the chief electrical inspector.Seems this guy wasn't talking about the additional attic but wants the switch to this area to be outside of this dog house.His reasoning is that it is a room.So go figure why that would make a differance.We can put your kitchen light in the living room or dining room if we so desire.So other than those few words of "at the point of access" he has nothing.It's not like we put the switch in a hard to locate or far away place.Had he wanted to talk to us we were on the property and easy to find.It will work out im sure.And if he can find a code to make his idea stick then fine.There are 3 of these rooms in this building 2 are for AC air handlers and 1 for old files for the doctors office.They all have more than 1 light,outlet and a wall switch.We just need to get this worked out early as we have 600 more buildings to go.

jimwalker

Ok got answer today.Seems hillsborough county Florida has a building code that declares any attic space 36 inches or greater a storage area.So now that it became storage even tho it has no floor or engineering to be used as storage it is storage and now 210.70 kicks in.He did clearify something that 2002 changed from 99 and that is that i can use a keyless with pull chain.So guess we gotta let him win this one as stupid as it is.They have 3 huge 200 sq ft rooms that are drywalled in attack for storage,why would they need the rest of attic for storage :roll:

[ January 10, 2005, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

Status
Not open for further replies.